FACU used as a pull box, is this acceptable

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacksonPaul

Occupation
Senior Fire Protection Designer
Can a FACU enclosure be used as a pull box, or junction box, for its' related fire alarm circuits? For example, can a NAC/SLC/IDC cable use the FACU enclosure as a pathway from point A to B? There are no splices or terminations of the circuit as it passes through. All FA circuits are in conduit.
While good practice should try to avoid this perhaps, it has been done. Can this circuit routing be blessed as acceptable? Is anyone aware of language in NFPA 70 or 72 that could be referenced that explicitly allows or prohibits this?

(Yes, I registered only moments ago and I realize my cred is 0. Hopefully some may wish to provide any insight regardless of this. Many years a silent lurker and have great respect for the site, and those who have contributed knowledge)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Can a FACU enclosure be used as a pull box, or junction box, for its' related fire alarm circuits? For example, can a NAC/SLC/IDC cable use the FACU enclosure as a pathway from point A to B? There are no splices or terminations of the circuit as it passes through. All FA circuits are in conduit.
While good practice should try to avoid this perhaps, it has been done. Can this circuit routing be blessed as acceptable? Is anyone aware of language in NFPA 70 or 72 that could be referenced that explicitly allows or prohibits this?

(Yes, I registered only moments ago and I realize my cred is 0. Hopefully some may wish to provide any insight regardless of this. Many years a silent lurker and have great respect for the site, and those who have contributed knowledge)
There is no language in 70 or 72 that I'm aware of that would oppose this use. Do be aware that manufacturers may have requirements regarding which knockouts can be used for which types of circuits. We have done this on occasion when necessary.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

What is an FACU? Please spell out acronyms once, as we don't use the same ones across the world. Is this a Fire Alarm Control Unit? As in a Fire alarm control panel?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What is an FACU? Please spell out acronyms once, as we don't use the same ones across the world. Is this a Fire Alarm Control Unit? As in a Fire alarm control panel?
Yes, FACU is fire alarm control unit. A couple of revisions back, NFPA 72 started using this instead of FACP, fire alarm control panel.

JacksonPaul

Occupation
Senior Fire Protection Designer
Yes, FACU is Fire Alarm Control Unit and commonly referred to as a FACP, Fire Alarm Control Panel. While NFPA defines a FAC"Unit" most manufacturer data sheets and installation manuals will use FAC"Panel". I understand your point. Thanks!

There is no language in 70 or 72 that I'm aware of that would oppose this use. Do be aware that manufacturers may have requirements regarding which knockouts can be used for which types of circuits. We have done this on occasion when necessary.
Thank you. I've come to the same conclusion and, without reading between the lines, I find nothing concrete in 72 or 70. Regarding knockouts and manufacturers recommendations - great point, noted.
If I gain any further insight into this topic I will follow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.