failed inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunu161

so i did the bonding of a swimming pool over the weekend and its 100% compliant with the 2008 code for a non-conductive pool shell but from the 2005 the rules are different. The town is still under the 2005 code.

Does the inspector have the right to fail the newer set of codes?

SEO

Yes if the municipality has not adopted the new code. They inspect what they have adopted. Which code section did he cite?

nunu161

680.26 (B)(2) in 2008 i think i was looking at. he was citing the 2005 version of it pertaining to the bonding grid around the pool. The 2005 does not specify conductive pool shells and non-conductive pool shells like the 2008 does. I bonded the pool using the alternate means for perimeter surfaces and bonding the metal parts.(light, coping, diving board, and pump) every thing else is plastic there is no rebar or wire grid in the pour of the sidewalks and around the pool. In 2005 it basically says all pools need the bonding grid. So either i have to install a coppergrid network or the pool guy has to put in wire mesh in the sidewalks (hes using fiber-mesh concrete no steel required).

nunu161

Yes if the municipality has not adopted the new code. They inspect what they have adopted. Which code section did he cite?

So next year when they adopt the 2008 code it will pass inspection?

that's where i dont understand how he can fail a more current installation.

Duke E

So next year when they adopt the 2008 code it will pass inspection?

that's where i dont understand how he can fail a more current installation.

Next year, if your local jurisdiction adopts the 2008 code in its entirety, the present installation (2005 code) will be grandfathered. They may never adopt it at all. Keep in mind that the most current method may not be the best.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
I asked the head inspector if I could use a more recent version than the adopted code. He said the counties legal office said he could not. In their opinion the newer code did not exist so you could not use it.

Like you hinted at illegal today, perfectly fine after adoption. All a matter of timing.

bphgravity

In most states and jurisidictions, the AHJ has the authority to accept alternative methods and practices where they are considerd to be equivalent in protection and/or based on a referenced standard.

Sometimes, the process of adopting a newer edition of a code or standard is significantly delayed, however, the newer code or standard is recognized by the AHJ's as acceptable practices before official adoption, on a limited, case by case basis.

cpal

680.26 (B)(2) in 2008 i think i was looking at. he was citing the 2005 version of it pertaining to the bonding grid around the pool. The 2005 does not specify conductive pool shells and non-conductive pool shells like the 2008 does. I bonded the pool using the alternate means for perimeter surfaces and bonding the metal parts.(light, coping, diving board, and pump) every thing else is plastic there is no rebar or wire grid in the pour of the sidewalks and around the pool. In 2005 it basically says all pools need the bonding grid. So either i have to install a coppergrid network or the pool guy has to put in wire mesh in the sidewalks (hes using fiber-mesh concrete no steel required).

I thought the there was a TIA to that section ?

cpal

Reference: 680.26 TIA 05-2 (NFPA 70)
(SC 05-7-15)/Log No. 821)
Pursuant to Section 5 of the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects, the National Fire Protection Association has issued the following Tentative Interim Amendment to NFPA 70, National Electrical Code?, 2005 edition. The TIA was processed by the National Electrical Code? Committee, and was issued by the Standards Council on July 29, 2005, with an effective date of August 18, 2005.
A Tentative Interim Amendment is tentative because it has not been processed through the entire standards-making procedures. It is interim because it is effective only between editions of the standard. A TIA automatically becomes a proposal of the proponent for the next edition of the standard; as such, it then is subject to all of the procedures of the standards-making process.
1. Revise 680.26 (C) & 680.26 (C)(1) as follows:
(C) Equipotential Bonding Grid. The parts specified in 680.26(B) shall be connected to an equipotential bonding grid with a solid copper conductor, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG or rigid metal conduit of brass or other identified corrosion-resistant metal conduit. Connection shall be made by exothermic welding or by listed pressure connectors or clamps that are labeled as being suitable for the purpose and are of stainless steel, brass, copper, or copper alloy. The equipotential bonding grid shall conform to the contours of the pool and shall extend within or under paved walking surfaces for 1 m (3 ft) horizontally beyond the inside walls of the pool and shall be permitted to be any of the following:
Exception: The equipotential bonding grid shall not be required to be installed under the bottom of or vertically along the walls of vinyl lined polymer wall, fiberglass composite, or other pools constructed of nonconductive materials. Any metal parts of the pool, including metal structural supports, shall be bonded in accordance with 680.26(B). For the purposes of this section, poured concrete, pneumatically applied (sprayed) concrete, and concrete block, with painted or plastered coatings, shall be considered conductive material.
(1) Structural Reinforcing Steel. The structural reinforcing steel of a concrete pool or deck where the reinforcing rods are bonded together by the usual steel tie wires or the equivalent. Where deck reinforcing steel is not an integral part of the pool, the deck reinforcing steel shall be bonded to other parts of the bonding grid using a minimum 8 AWG solid copper conductor. Connection shall be per 680.26(D).
Copyright ? 2005 All Rights Reserved NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION

ohm

so i did the bonding of a swimming pool over the weekend and its 100% compliant with the 2008 code for a non-conductive pool shell but from the 2005 the rules are different. The town is still under the 2005 code.

Does the inspector have the right to fail the newer set of codes?

Well now I've heard it all.

Never heard of a jurisdiction rejecting the latest Code, even if they haven't adopted it. It's been a year and a half. When do they plan on reading the book?

nunu161

Reference: 680.26 TIA 05-2 (NFPA 70)
(SC 05-7-15)/Log No. 821)
Pursuant to Section 5 of the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects, the National Fire Protection Association has issued the following Tentative Interim Amendment to NFPA 70, National Electrical Code?, 2005 edition. The TIA was processed by the National Electrical Code? Committee, and was issued by the Standards Council on July 29, 2005, with an effective date of August 18, 2005.
A Tentative Interim Amendment is tentative because it has not been processed through the entire standards-making procedures. It is interim because it is effective only between editions of the standard. A TIA automatically becomes a proposal of the proponent for the next edition of the standard; as such, it then is subject to all of the procedures of the standards-making process.
1. Revise 680.26 (C) & 680.26 (C)(1) as follows:
(C) Equipotential Bonding Grid. The parts specified in 680.26(B) shall be connected to an equipotential bonding grid with a solid copper conductor, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG or rigid metal conduit of brass or other identified corrosion-resistant metal conduit. Connection shall be made by exothermic welding or by listed pressure connectors or clamps that are labeled as being suitable for the purpose and are of stainless steel, brass, copper, or copper alloy. The equipotential bonding grid shall conform to the contours of the pool and shall extend within or under paved walking surfaces for 1 m (3 ft) horizontally beyond the inside walls of the pool and shall be permitted to be any of the following:
Exception: The equipotential bonding grid shall not be required to be installed under the bottom of or vertically along the walls of vinyl lined polymer wall, fiberglass composite, or other pools constructed of nonconductive materials. Any metal parts of the pool, including metal structural supports, shall be bonded in accordance with 680.26(B). For the purposes of this section, poured concrete, pneumatically applied (sprayed) concrete, and concrete block, with painted or plastered coatings, shall be considered conductive material.
(1) Structural Reinforcing Steel. The structural reinforcing steel of a concrete pool or deck where the reinforcing rods are bonded together by the usual steel tie wires or the equivalent. Where deck reinforcing steel is not an integral part of the pool, the deck reinforcing steel shall be bonded to other parts of the bonding grid using a minimum 8 AWG solid copper conductor. Connection shall be per 680.26(D).
Copyright ? 2005 All Rights Reserved NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION

So does this mean he has to follow these rules or can he still go by what the 2005 book says

Status
Not open for further replies.