Failed inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

I changed out a residential 3 phase meter base and 150 amp panel to a new 200 amp meter base and 200 amp panel. The 3 phase is used for the A/C condenser and that is all. The set up is the service mast comes through the roof and lands in the meter base. Then a 2" offset nipple joins it to a 4" X 2' junction box. From the junction box a 1" nipple feeds a 3 phase disco that is for the A/C cond. Next out of the bottom of the j-box a 2" LB supplys power to the new 200 amp panel. The inspector wrote that I have it bonded/grounded wrong and I would like to know how I should bond everything? I cant reach the inspector to ask him so here I am. I bonded the grounds and neutrals in the 200 amp panel and landed my ground rod and CWG wires there as well. I then ran a #10 ground wire from the 200 amp panel up to the 3 phase A/C disco. Should I have run a #4 wire from the 200 amp panel to a lug in the 4" X 2' junction box as well? The jbox contains the service conductors that are tapped with #6 wire to feed the 3 phase / 30 amp disco. Do I need a 2" bonding bushing on the 2" offset nipple between the meter base and j-box and also a 2" bonding bushing on the 2" LB? Thanks for any help.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Each service disconnect should have a bond jumper (230.28)(D)(2) and the grounding electrode connection should meet 230.64(D) (there are options), but you can't connect to just one disconnect means. The j box and any nipples containing service conductors should meet 250.92 There are variables as to how this can be accomplished.
Due to the variables it's difficult to say exactly what should be done, but your description does represent several possible violations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.