Failed, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A few years ago we hooked up 3 radiant electric heaters to heat a tank of oil to 150-170 degree. Plant based, not animal or petroleum. Originally the tank had immersion heaters, but the new owners of it did not want to use them so they supplied the new heaters. Obviously the 10 THHN we used to supply each 3000 watt heater could not handle the 250 someone set the thermostat to. Everything nice and crispy.

What cable is available that could handle these higher temperatures on occasion? Plus the oil. No doubt we wil have to incorporate a limit of some sort.

mgookin

A few years ago we hooked up 3 radiant electric heaters to heat a tank of oil to 150-170 degree. Plant based, not animal or petroleum. Originally the tank had immersion heaters, but the new owners of it did not want to use them so they supplied the new heaters. Obviously the 10 THHN we used to supply each 3000 watt heater could not handle the 250 someone set the thermostat to. Everything nice and crispy.

What cable is available that could handle these higher temperatures on occasion? Plus the oil. No doubt we wil have to incorporate a limit of some sort.

Trying to understand what's there today and what you need. Let's set aside what's there.
It sounds like they took out immersion heaters but you want cable (or wire) able to withstand immersion in 250F oil?
If they want the oil at 250F it's going to be hotter at the heater so you'd be looking for around 120-150C.

High temp http://www.radix-wire.com/
Have not looked for listings, OO specs or anything else. Just saw their temp ratings.
There are other products out there.
Edit: stumbed on this product on their site: does say at least something about oil. http://www.radix-wire.com/high-temp-wire-450C-550C/Tempergard2000

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
When we've needed to wire immersion heaters in the past, we were able to give our regular supply house a call and let them know the minimum temp rating wire we were looking for. We didn't have to look any wire types up, we just gave them the size and temperature needed. We only ordered high temp for the phase conductors. The ground was regular THHN, we just stripped the jacket off for the last 12 inches or so where it went into the heater. The wire that showed up looked like that white cloth covered oven wire with tinned conductors?

It looks like 250F is about 121C according to the google conversion calculator.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
We have some teflon insulated wire in our shop. It has a very high temp rating like others have said but you have to be careful with it. It breaks down if you bend it too sharp. I don't know if all brands of it are the same.

the stuff i've worked with was pure teflon that was good for 20kv,
as a replacement for GTO for neon work. it would withstand direct
flame without charring, and was extremely flexible.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
They squeak easily and I've failed at finding the proper lube, other than free.

Hopefully you don't have too many customers that are that way. With customers like that, it seems even if you did it for free, then they would complain about how the job was done. You can't win sometimes.

I've got a core group of probably 8-10 repeat ag customers that keep me busy almost all year long year after year. I do what I can to keep them happy, because they're reasonable and willing to spend money on electrical where it's needed. This saves me from customers like you describe the majority of the time. Of course, sometimes a dud will slip through...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.