Failed TPF Inspection due to 250.102C

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlbish

New User
Occupation
Electrical Foreman
I have a auxiliary trough bolted to the top of my switch gear for incoming utility and inspector wants a wire bonded from ground bar in CT section of gear to the trough sized per table 250.66. The utility has yet to tell us the size of wire they are pulling for us to use that table and the inspector won't explain why the bolts to gear frame do not carry the bond to the trough.
Anyone have thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Smart inspector can't see listed means for compliance with 250.96(A), and wants to you to know he doesn't like it.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have a auxiliary trough bolted to the top of my switch gear for incoming utility and inspector wants a wire bonded from ground bar in CT section of gear to the trough sized per table 250.66. The utility has yet to tell us the size of wire they are pulling for us to use that table and the inspector won't explain why the bolts to gear frame do not carry the bond to the trough.
Anyone have thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance.
In my view the inspector is using the wrong citation. 250.66 is for gecs. If a bonding jumper is required it should be based on 250.102.
Since this trough is enclosing service conductors it must comply with 250.92. In my view this is a judgement call as to whether this meets 250.92. If I were inspecting this and felt there were enough bolts and nuts that it was obvious that was as substantial as the rest of the metallic assembly of the gear I would allow it without an extra jumper.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
All of the switchgear that we install is typically bolted together with a solid copper EGC bus run through it and bolted to each section. All of the metal components of the switchgear are bolted together. There are no bonding jumpers connecting different metal parts of the gear together, the bolted connection is all that is needed to have each part connected to the EGC bus. Even the covers are merely bolted to the frame of the switchgear. IMO the same concept would apply to an auxiliary gutter.

Now if the auxiliary gutter were a metal raceway on the line side of the service disconnect then it would require additional bonding just like any other metal raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.