Fairground power

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanert

Question:

I need to provide power at a event at a fair ground. I need to hook up some small 240 volt equipment and some 120 volt loads. These loads are in a main distribution panel with over current protection in the form of breakers. The fair ground provides 240 volt, single phase power with a 30 amp, 3 wire, 240 volt plug. This config is all over the site. It appears to be two hot conductors and a ground.
Do I treat this plug as a new electrical service, run my hot conductors into the main distrubution panel, and bound my nuetral and my ground together and then drive a ground rod? I only have one path back to ground, its using the ground of the the three wire cord. What would happen if I lost my ground? I cound have potential at my main distrubution panel. Or I cound back feed on my 120 volt loads and create 240. It appears to me I have to bond and then drive a ground rod. Is this right? Thanks for any suggestions!

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Fairground power

If these receptacles don't have a neutral pole then you can't use them to supply 120 volt loads. The equipment ground can not be used as a neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.