fan box on sloped ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jernst

Someone asked me if they could put a fan on the back porch, the ceilling has about a 25 degree slope. My question is: How could I install a fan rated box? the center of the room where she wants the fan is not a 2x4, it is a support beam about 6 inches wide, so i would have to enter the cable from a side knockout. I can only imagine that the box would need to be flush to keep it from looking like junk so how could I do this? Also are most fans when used with a downrod able of being mounted on this type of slope?

-Thank You

Cavie

Someone asked me if they could put a fan on the back porch, the ceilling has about a 25 degree slope. My question is: How could I install a fan rated box? the center of the room where she wants the fan is not a 2x4, it is a support beam about 6 inches wide, so i would have to enter the cable from a side knockout. I can only imagine that the box would need to be flush to keep it from looking like junk so how could I do this? Also are most fans when used with a downrod able of being mounted on this type of slope?

-Thank You

Use a 4" fan rated pancake. Mount the box just far enough off center to allow the wire to enter the box from the back. Naked eye will never see 3" off center box in the middle of the room. Most fans are slope adaptible.

mcclary's electrical

-Thank You

Yes, if you mount on the slope, most fans will mount fine with a down rod, there is a limit to the amount of slope that varies from man. to man. I personally would mount it on the beam in the middle of the room. It's probably not solid and would allow you to chase wire through it, and hang fan flush on the bottom. If it's solid, engineered wood, you should not drill it, surface mount fan box and surface mount raceway.

jernst

I assume the porch is considered a damp location. Would you run uf cable with "damp location " box or would you just run romex to a pancake box, I live in New England by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.