Fan mounting bracket

Curtiszeph

Hey guys, quick question! I am doing the finish on this house that has a 25'6" ceiling where the customer requested the ceiling fan be mounted 11' AFF. Unable to find a downrod that length I have done what others have suggested and made my own out of 3/4" IMC. Now the question I have is, will the fan mounting bracket that came with the fan be sufficient to carry the extra weight? The bracket will be lagged directly into a 20"x20" beam, of course with a box cut into the beam. The fan is 24.8 pounds, the IMC is 11.9 pounds for a total of 36.7 pounds. The bracket that came with the fan (pictured) looks like one of those lowes brand brackets that have a listed capacity of 25 pounds.

Am I overthinking this and should just go for it or should I search for a aftermarket heavier duty mount?

20240723_101315.jpg Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The way I read that label it's for the rating of the box not the bracket. Where does it say 25 pounds?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The mount is fine. As infinity says the box is the question but the bracket can be fastened to the structure so the box will not be supporting any weight to speak of.

The problem will be getting wobble to a minimum. 🙂

Curtiszeph

The way I read that label it's for the rating of the box not the bracket. Where does it say 25 pounds?
No, what I meant was that the bracket looks just like the brackets you can pick off the shelf at lowes that list their capacity as 25 pounds.

Curtiszeph

The mount is fine. As infinity says the box is the question but the bracket can be fastened to the structure so the box will not be supporting any weight to speak of.

The problem will be getting wobble to a minimum. 🙂
I'm hoping the heavy downrod will help with that 😄 but I see a lot of balancing kits in my future.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Hey guys, quick question! I am doing the finish on this house that has a 25'6" ceiling where the customer requested the ceiling fan be mounted 11' AFF. Unable to find a downrod that length I have done what others have suggested and made my own out of 3/4" IMC. Now the question I have is, will the fan mounting bracket that came with the fan be sufficient to carry the extra weight? The bracket will be lagged directly into a 20"x20" beam, of course with a box cut into the beam. The fan is 24.8 pounds, the IMC is 11.9 pounds for a total of 36.7 pounds. The bracket that came with the fan (pictured) looks like one of those lowes brand brackets that have a listed capacity of 25 pounds.

Am I overthinking this and should just go for it or should I search for a aftermarket heavier duty mount?

View attachment 2572653 Thanks
15.9kg is 35#... Close...