Fan noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohm

Have you ever noticed how a ceiling fan will make a lot of noise for about 15 minutes when first turned on?

I have a theory but would like the Forums opinion first.:smile:

ohm

I believe it's because the fan motor has such a low starting torque the noise is slip and continues until the fan rpm equals the synchronous speed of the motor.

If this is true one could tell that someone has just turned the fan on in say... the last 15 minutes is it's making the "slipping" sound.

Now all we need to do is work it into a "Murder She Wrote" episode. :grin:

iwire

Staff member
In my opinion the motor quiets down when the lubricant in the bearings and / or bushings reaches operating temp and the motor turns more freely.

wptski

iwire said:
In my opinion the motor quiets down when the lubricant in the bearings and / or bushings reaches operating temp and the motor turns more freely.
Correct, a cold bearing/bushing is looser. That's why a car engine might be a bit noisey when cold too.

ElectricianJeff

ohm said:
Have you ever noticed how a ceiling fan will make a lot of noise for about 15 minutes when first turned on?

I have a theory but would like the Forums opinion first.:smile:

I installed one about 3 weeks ago that had a pretty good humm when running. I actually looked at the directions (checked first to make sure no one was looking :cool: ). In the troubleshooting section it recommended letting the fan run for several hours after installation.

I actually left it run all night and the next morning no more humm.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
I have not noticed that. It must be a subtle change. My guess would be the initial start up. Forcing the still air to move and then when the movement of the air is flowing, all becomes balanced. Then the fan has less resistance so it needs to work less and becomes quieter

ohm

ElectricianJeff said:
I installed one about 3 weeks ago that had a pretty good humm when running. I actually looked at the directions (checked first to make sure no one was looking :cool: ). In the troubleshooting section it recommended letting the fan run for several hours after installation.

I actually left it run all night and the next morning no more humm.

The one I'm talking about has been running about 12 years. :-?

cadpoint

ohm said:
Wait! ...before anyone says it's worn out ..I mean off & on for that long. Probably only has 150 hrs. run time.
150 hours in a salt bath enviro would be different that a 150 hours in a dust bowl!

Just cuz you hear something doesn't mean that their not happy cuz its spinning!

ohm

cadpoint said:
150 hours in a salt bath enviro would be different that a 150 hours in a dust bowl!

Just cuz you hear something doesn't mean that their not happy cuz its spinning!

True, but this one is in a clean A/C bedroom and looks as good as the day it was bought.:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.