FE practices material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sisi1129

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Does anyone know any practice/study materials for the electrical FE Exam? I have been out of school for about 3 years and need help finding good material.

Carultch

The reference handbook can be downloaded for free. You'll need to create an account to do so.

What I'd recommend doing, is writing yourself an example, or looking through your old textbooks for an example of each topic covered within the reference handbook. Try to think of all the information you could possibly be asked about a particular situation they might set up in an example problem, and determine how you would solve them. You can also see the list of subjects that they ask you about for each discipline. You should also expect to see concepts combined in the same problem.

I'd also recommend the TI-36X pro calculator, which is the approved calculator with the most favorable features for saving you time on computationally intensive work. It has complex number support, as well as vector and matrix math, that can get very cumbersome to do manually. Especially if you've been in the real world, and use computers to do all your tedious arithmetic.

You can also buy practice exams here:

EC Dan

Occupation
E&C Manager
If you're willing to spend some money, these two books are good:

The first one does a light review of each topic expected to be encountered in the FE exam with examples. It relates everything directly to the equations in the reference handbook and explains some of the oddities in the way equations are presented in that handbook. The second has far more example problems with solutions, but does not provide significant background on the material.

I also second the TI-36X Pro, it is a great calculator!

Sisi1129

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you're willing to spend some money, these two books are good:

The first one does a light review of each topic expected to be encountered in the FE exam with examples. It relates everything directly to the equations in the reference handbook and explains some of the oddities in the way equations are presented in that handbook. The second has far more example problems with solutions, but does not provide significant background on the material.

I also second the TI-36X Pro, it is a great calculator!
thank you! I will try the second book. I already have the Ncees and the review manual but to me those did not help as much when I took the test the first time.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
thank you! I will try the second book. I already have the Ncees and the review manual but to me those did not help as much when I took the test the first time.
if you've failed the test once. think about your game plan.

it can be overwhelming being approached with re-mastering abstract concepts like integrate by parts, but that isn't your objective. be reminded that the exam has a large quantity of questions and limited time to answer them. your goal isn't to educate yourself on everything that can possibly appear on the exam. that isn't practical. A better goal is to get 50% of the exam 100% right, and the other 50% of the exam 50% right.

my advise to you is recreate the testing environment in your living room and drill on sample questions. get a table with a crappy chair, get a laptop, get a copy of the NCEES reference PDF loaded up, hit CTRL+F, get a blank notebook, and an approved calculator you are comfortable with. buy 3-4 sample exam books that have positive reviews, and get the NCEES practice exam too. do not write in them because you are going to want to keep them blank. take these sample exam books and work through them each, with ONLY the same materials you are given during the exam. it doesn't serve you to google how to solve a problem during this period. If you have trouble with a question, just flag it and move on. your goal here is to identify problem subjects.

once you do this, you have a good idea of where you are confident and where you are not. now you can go on the internet or use old text books to bone up on weak subjects.

after you bone up, your objective is to train yourself to quickly find within the provided materials the information you need for problems that you have trouble with. for this reason, the more times you do the practice exam problems under similar conditions as the exam, the better. it doesn't matter that the numbers are identical. it doesn't matter that you "knew where to find it last time" or you "already got this one right before" find the info, then review it, then answer the question with the same structure as before. think of it like practicing free-throws.

do the practive exams each 3, 4, 5, 6 times. whatever it takes for it to become reflex and less "maybe if i look here." you'll learn the search terms you need to quickly navigate the NCEES guide. the idea is, during the exam if you don't know exactly where to find the reference material you need to solve a problem, any time spent perusing the NCEES guidebook is time wasted. in this case you make a guess, flag the question so you can return later if you have time, and move on to the next problem.

i understand everyone studies differently. so i hope this is helpful for you. its the strategy i used for both the FE and PE and I passed both with relative ease. The only difference being is the PE exam then was not electronic and you were responsible to bring your own books.

good luck.

Last edited:

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
my advise to you is recreate the testing environment in your living room and drill on sample questions. get a table with a crappy chair, get a laptop, get a copy of the NCEES reference PDF loaded up, hit CTRL+F, get a blank notebook, and an approved calculator you are comfortable with.
If you want to simulate my FE exam testing condition, you could also have Garth Brooks' roadies sound checking the drum kit on the floor above in preparation for a concert that night. 😖

Good luck! IMHO, the PE exam is much easier.

Sisi1129

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
if you've failed the test once. think about your game plan.

it can be overwhelming being approached with re-mastering abstract concepts like integrate by parts, but that isn't your objective. be reminded that the exam has a large quantity of questions and limited time to answer them. your goal isn't to educate yourself on everything that can possibly appear on the exam. that isn't practical. A better goal is to get 50% of the exam 100% right, and the other 50% of the exam 50% right.

my advise to you is recreate the testing environment in your living room and drill on sample questions. get a table with a crappy chair, get a laptop, get a copy of the NCEES reference PDF loaded up, hit CTRL+F, get a blank notebook, and an approved calculator you are comfortable with. buy 3-4 sample exam books that have positive reviews, and get the NCEES practice exam too. do not write in them because you are going to want to keep them blank. take these sample exam books and work through them each, with ONLY the same materials you are given during the exam. it doesn't serve you to google how to solve a problem during this period. If you have trouble with a question, just flag it and move on. your goal here is to identify problem subjects.

once you do this, you have a good idea of where you are confident and where you are not. now you can go on the internet or use old text books to bone up on weak subjects.

after you bone up, your objective is to train yourself to quickly find within the provided materials the information you need for problems that you have trouble with. for this reason, the more times you do the practice exam problems under similar conditions as the exam, the better. it doesn't matter that the numbers are identical. it doesn't matter that you "knew where to find it last time" or you "already got this one right before" find the info, then review it, then answer the question with the same structure as before. think of it like practicing free-throws.

do the practive exams each 3, 4, 5, 6 times. whatever it takes for it to become reflex and less "maybe if i look here." you'll learn the search terms you need to quickly navigate the NCEES guide. the idea is, during the exam if you don't know exactly where to find the reference material you need to solve a problem, any time spent perusing the NCEES guidebook is time wasted. in this case you make a guess, flag the question so you can return later if you have time, and move on to the next problem.

i understand everyone studies differently. so i hope this is helpful for you. its the strategy i used for both the FE and PE and I passed both with relative ease. The only difference being is the PE exam then was not electronic and you were responsible to bring your own books.

good luck.
This really helps thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.