Fear of car batteries

Occupation
Electrical apprentice
Go easy on me here guys but I have a fear of a battery exploding when disconnecting or reconnecting a car battery

Instead of worrying about which terminal to disconnect or reconnect first couldn’t I tape up my wrench completely or use an insulated wrench so that it wouldn’t arc if the wrench hit the frame of the car or another metal part? Then you could disconnect and reconnect the battery in any order you want without any issues?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Don't be 'afeared' of us. When we chew someone out, it's (almost) always for their own good.

Well, yeah, you could, but it's not hard to do safely with a bare wrench if you think about why.

To the positive, everything else around it is "hot," but to the negative, only the positive is hot.

Thus, the negative is the safer terminal to put a wrench on with the other terminal connected.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you are concerned about explosion (not really a big risk compared to simple short circuits), the most likely spot for there to be hydrogen gas is in the vicinity of the discharged battery as full charging current suddenly goes through it or has accumulated in a damaged cell. So making the final jumper wire connection and the initial disconnection anywhere but at one of the terminals of either battery is a good idea, insulated tools or not.
And even when you add the additional short circuit protection of insulated tools, why not follow the "safer" procedure too.?

Occupation
Electrical apprentice
I understand the logic but still always forget the order in the moment. Is there an easy way to remember which to disconnect first and which to connect first??

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there an easy way to remember which to disconnect first and which to connect first??
Yes:

To the positive, everything else around it is "hot," but to the negative, only the positive is hot.

Thus, the negative is the safer terminal to put a wrench on with the other terminal connected.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
I understand the logic but still always forget the order in the moment. Is there an easy way to remember which to disconnect first and which to connect first??
Usually in modern cars the positive has a protective cap on it and the negative usually does not.
There's your sign, 🛑
So make safe remove negative first then remove 🛑 . Then reconnect 🛑 first.

Plus you can always goggle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231207-175835.png
    Screenshot_20231207-175835.png
    377.1 KB · Views: 9

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
But… if the negative terminal of the battery is NOT connected to the cable yet, accidentally contacting the wrench in the positive terminal to the chassis will NOT cause a short, because there is no return path. Ergo to the positive, everything around it is NOT HOT unless the negative is connected.

So when INSTALLING, always connect the positive first, negative second. When REMOVING, always disconnect the negative first, then the positive. Nothing can harm you that way (unless, you lean forward and your arm slips off the fender and contacts BOTH posts… wanna guess how I know?).

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ain't that cute!🐰
aww-shucks-bashful.gif

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
The easiest way to remember it is to short the positive terminal, after the negative is connected, to the frame with a wrench - once. After I did that I had no trouble remembering. :D

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Read the manual.
I had a Honda CX-9 that had their field installed remote start module. It required the positive terminal to be connected first.

The people designing the distributed electronic controls in automobiles may be even more out of touch with the real world than those who design websites.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
The easiest way to remember it is to short the positive terminal, after the negative is connected, to the frame with a wrench - once. After I did that I had no trouble remembering. :D
One of our old employees had a Geo Metro with a curious wrench-handle-shaped bondo patch in the fender next to the battery + terminal.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Going beyond connecting + first, the detailed recommendation is to connect jumper +, jumped +, jumper -, and then for the last step connect the cable negative to a solid ground on the jumped vehicle rather that at the battery. This keeps the connection spark as far from the battery vents as possible.
Once the jumper - is connected, you do have a potential short between the cable + and cable - which is why you have solidly connected the jumped + first.