Federal Pacific/ fuse box upgrade & NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Postonbones

Occupation
Electronic Repair Tech III/Electrician
A customer has an older FP fuse box. The service entrance is fused ( in place of a main breaker); with two-2pole fuses and 12 single screw in fuses. Does the NEC require a replacement panel to include the newer AFCI/GFCI breakers? I should also mention most of the wiring is two wire ( not many if any of the branch circuits use a ground wire or even have one).
My thought is I’m not installing any new circuits so the panel maybe installed with non GFCI breakers. If any new circuits are added those circuits would use the GFCI/AFCI breakers. Thanks in advance.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
A customer has an older FP fuse box. The service entrance is fused ( in place of a main breaker); with two-2pole fuses and 12 single screw in fuses. Does the NEC require a replacement panel to include the newer AFCI/GFCI breakers? I should also mention most of the wiring is two wire ( not many if any of the branch circuits use a ground wire or even have one).
My thought is I’m not installing any new circuits so the panel maybe installed with non GFCI breakers. If any new circuits are added those circuits would use the GFCI/AFCI breakers. Thanks in advance.
Barring any local amendments, changing out a panel doesn't require AFCI protection. Unless you're relocating the panel more than 6 feet.

Ron

kwired

Electron manager
Barring any local amendments, changing out a panel doesn't require AFCI protection. Unless you're relocating the panel more than 6 feet.

Ron
I believe the wording is that you can't extend the branch circuit more than 6 feet or it will require AFCI protection if it serves items mentioned in 210.12 requirements.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Does the NEC require a replacement panel to include the newer AFCI/GFCI breakers?
New Fuse-box inspections may reveal existing AFCI/GFCI violations, but correction does not always require the fancy circuit breakers.
I should also mention most of the wiring is two wire
Regardless of local amendment, existing dwellings typically violate replacement code, until a qualified person is given opportunity to correct it.

Since owners always replace devices with the wrong receptacle during attrition, the only chance for correction is when qualified persons notice, and present compelling cause for correction.

If qualified persons notice at fuse box upgrades, panel flippers may get the red tag, and clients don't always approve unforeseen change orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.