Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
For those with more than one estimator in your dept. do you guys always try to get feedback where your number was compared to others? I find getting accurate feedback from some GC’s is tough…they dance around the question then if they do tell you I feel sometimes they are not being honest.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
If you are doing contract work with a General Contractor, make sure you have a construction attorney on retainer !

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Wan to give someone a good laugh ? When you get to heaven, ask St Pete to direct you to the location of the honest GCs :)

cdslotz

For those with more than one estimator in your dept. do you guys always try to get feedback where your number was compared to others? I find getting accurate feedback from some GC’s is tough…they dance around the question then if they do tell you I feel sometimes they are not being honest.
Always get feedback. If you spend the time/money to work up an estimate, you deserve to know how you were in the bid list...AND what the numbers are. If you can't get that info, the next time they ask you to bid, you refuse and tell them you will be giving their competitors your number. They can't stand to not have all the prices "off the street"
Be firm...the work you did to estimate costs you money

cdslotz

Oh...by the way....we build a spreadsheet for every year with estimate numbers for every job. Each job gets post-bid data like: who we bid to, type of construction, square foot price, fixture price, gear price, fire alarm price, data price, etc......AND who beat us and by how much. After years of collecting this data, you become a great source for budgeting for owners and GC's

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Always get feedback. If you spend the time/money to work up an estimate, you deserve to know how you were in the bid list...AND what the numbers are. If you can't get that info, the next time they ask you to bid, you refuse and tell them you will be giving their competitors your number. They can't stand to not have all the prices "off the street"
Be firm...the work you did to estimate costs you money
Absolutely makes sense. Thank you.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Oh...by the way....we build a spreadsheet for every year with estimate numbers for every job. Each job gets post-bid data like: who we bid to, type of construction, square foot price, fixture price, gear price, fire alarm price, data price, etc......AND who beat us and by how much. After years of collecting this data, you become a great source for budgeting for owners and GC's
Thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.