Feeder for 100 amp main

Status
Not open for further replies.
These may be basic questions for some...others are still learning.

1.) Are there any circumstances where 2 AWG aluminum is acceptable for a 100 amp main on a residential panel? (NEC 310.15 B6) Meter is on the exterior wall directly behind the service panel.

2.) Inspectors in out area keep calling out the lack of anti-oxidant compound on aluminum feeder. I have consulted with some of the load center manufacturers and they say it is not needed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
#2 aluminum is acceptable in your scenario for a residence and no antioxidants are needed, however I always use antioxidants because I can't learn new tricks. Better safe than sorry.

raider1

Staff member
1.) Are there any circumstances where 2 AWG aluminum is acceptable for a 100 amp main on a residential panel? (NEC 310.15 B6) Meter is on the exterior wall directly behind the service panel.

Yes, #2 aluminum is OK on 100 amp main if installed in accordance with 310.15(B)(6).

2.) Inspectors in out area keep calling out the lack of anti-oxidant compound on aluminum feeder. I have consulted with some of the load center manufacturers and they say it is not needed.

The NEC does not require the use of an anti-oxidant compound when terminating aluminum conductors. The terminal manufacture or panel manufacture might require it in their installation instructions.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The NEC does not require the use of an anti-oxidant compound when terminating aluminum conductors. The terminal manufacture or panel manufacturer might require it in their installation instructions.

Chris

OK, has anyone ever seen this requirement?

SEO

I haven't seen it required in installation instructions but many or the larger AL compression lugs (crimp type) have it installed inside the lug from the factory.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I might be going out on a limb here but I would venture to say that no manufacturer requires someone to add the stuff to a termination in the field.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree but your post said NO manufacturer. Aren't the nolux company's manufacturers?:smile:

Are they manufacturing the lugs?

If the manufacturer of electrical tape says that you should use this product on wire nuts for extra protection are you required to use it on wire nuts? The answer is no unless the wire nut manufacturer requires it. Same applies to anti-ox.

SEO

Are they manufacturing the lugs?

If the manufacturer of electrical tape says that you should use this product on wire nuts for extra protection are you required to use it on wire nuts? The answer is no unless the wire nut manufacturer requires it. Same applies to anti-ox.
Your taking my jesting out of context I'm just having fun picking on you. I was referring to the nolux manufacturer having you add their product to the lug in the field not the lug manufacturer.:smile:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Your taking my jesting out of context I'm just having fun picking on you. I was referring to the nolux manufacturer having you add their product to the lug in the field not the lug manufacturer.:smile:

Hmmm, not enough coffee today I guess. You sound like my wife.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.