feeder for snack shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

danickstr

I got a 3/4" EMT and nothing else, and the shop (in high rise) will need only single phase, so with my calcs, i got: 137 mm on the conduit, and 32.7 on each 6 ga, and 23.7 on 8 ga.

I can't quite get 5 conductors 6ga. through, ( like 42%) so would you: set the breakers on the other floor, or pull a single phase 60 amp panel with 4 6ga wires? OR 5 8 ga and build a 50 amp 3phase panel?

emahler

yep...of if a ground is required in the spec, what are your calcs with a bare ground?

or by 250.122, what about a #10 ground along with your 4 #6's?

no, i'm not even thinking of doing the calculations right now...

mdshunk

What's the load on this 'snack shop' anyhow? I've wired in places that would qualify under that name, but have had some pretty hefty loads. Is this on the ground floor? I'm guessing it might be. If all that's holding you up is coring one floor, don't consider that a problem. If you're hemmed in, you can get 4 #6's in a 3/4 at 38% and build them a pretty nice 3-phase setup for that shop. That would be the route I'd take if they didn't have any load data for me and they're sure that would cover their needs.

mdshunk

emahler said:
yep...of if a ground is required in the spec, what are your calcs with a bare ground?.
I was kinda doubting he had any specs if he doesn't seem to have even a known load. Hard to say.

danickstr

the x factor in the load calc is a high temp dishwasher at 50 amps. they want it, but I told them it may not go with the current "limitations"

other than that i have about 5-11 amps each in three reefers and general lighting for 700 sq ft (7 amps about i think).

no engineered plans, so I guess I could forego the GC.

danickstr

i considered coring, but this is over the ladies locker room, so it would present a bit of a boggle, unless I did it at night, but there are finished ceilings, etc.

three phase 60a with a no EGC will do it, I think.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
danickstr said:
I got a 3/4" EMT . . . and the shop . . . will need only single phase, . . .

I can't quite get 5 conductors 6ga. through . . .
Why would single-phase require five conductors? Two hots, one neutral, and the conduit as EGC means three conductors.

danickstr

i was just going to try to keep the loads balanced, and get as much amperage as possible for future, but I had not considered just taking two legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.