Feeder line from transformer

melodynpepper

Occupation
retired
I bought a 1800 sq.ft. house with a used electrical system from a mobile home. (grrrrrr!) The breaker panel is 100 AMP. I would like to upgrade the whole system to a more proper 200 AMP. Will I need to have the feeder from transformer on hydro pole upsized , or should that be of equal size regardless of wether for a house or mobile home? Thanks for any feedback!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That will depend on what the power company decides as they are responsible for the wiring to the meter base--usually. I suspect they will need to upsize it.

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
Just call the power company and tell them you want to upgrade your service to 200A. They'll probably send someone out to look at what you currently have, let you know what needs to be changed. Typically they're responsible for the wiring from transformer to masthead, and your electrician will do every from that point forward.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the dwelling has been previously occupied and operating on the existing 100 amp service, I think it is very unlikely that the utility will change their conductors unless they are provided with some documentation of adding substantial additional load.