Feeder Overcurrent Protection - Max?

Status
Not open for further replies.

designer82

Section 215.3 says that OCPD shall be not less than non-continuous + 125% of continuous.

Is there a maximum size limit on feeder OCPD?
Didn't see it anywhere so I'd like to check.

Thanks

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Section 215.3 says that OCPD shall be not less than non-continuous + 125% of continuous.

Thanks
Thats not what is says, it says minimum conductor ampacity.
240 deals with overcurrent protection, 310 has your tables

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Thanks
Just remember that, in general, the ampacity of the conductor must match the rating of the OCPD. If you install a higher rated OCPD, then you must also install a larger conductor.

designer82

Just remember that, in general, the ampacity of the conductor must match the rating of the OCPD. If you install a higher rated OCPD, then you must also install a larger conductor.
When I install a conductor to match the rating of the OCPD (or higher), are we referring to the base or derated ampacity of the conductor?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
When I install a conductor to match the rating of the OCPD (or higher), are we referring to the base or derated ampacity of the conductor?
The conductor must be protected at or below its ampacity under the conditions of use. That means you apply any required ampacity adjustment and corrections to determine the actual ampacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.