Feeder ran through meter enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

par38lamp

We are having a service entrance rated (with overcurrent protection) ATS installed outside.

Currently, the underground service lateral turns up into a meter, then service entrance conductors nipple through the back of the meter into the MSB.

The E.C wants to exit the meter can with the SE conductors, into the ATS, then leave the ATS with the feeders back into the meter can to get to the existing nipple.

I think this is not allowed due to 230.7. Or is it only up to the AHJ or electric utility?

Thoughts?

bphgravity

Re: Feeder ran through meter enclosure?

Your thoughts are correct. This is a clear violation of 230.7 and should not be acceptedby any AHJ or POCO.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

jim, regardless?, would it not have to go thru some type raceway to get back to the meter ?

jim sutton

augie47,
Yes, but you can have another nipple.

The meter can would have to be big enough to meet article 312.

jim sutton

In this case, the meter socket would be on the supply side as permitted in 230.82 (2).

The service lateral would remain connected to the line side of the meter socket.

The load conductors would be removed from the meter socket and from the existing nipple going to the existing main disconnect.

New conductors would connect from the load side of the meter socket to the line side of the new service rated ATS.

A seperate nipple would contain the conductors connecting from the load side of the ATS to the meter socket and pass thru to the existing nipple to the existing panel.

This of course is not an ideal installation and would not be done on new work.

If the meter base is large enough to meet art.312, where is the violation?

[ September 09, 2005, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: jim sutton ]

davedottcom

I don't see any violation if it meets the 312.7 article on "crowding"?!? unless the conductors coming from the ATS to the panel (via meter can) are no longer considered service conductors, which I believe they still are!
so, 230.7 should not apply.

Is the existing nipple large enough to accommodate the 4 conductors from the ATS?

Dave

pierre

When is the last time you worked in or saw the inside of a metepan. They are usually manufactured just large enough to take 1 or 2 sizes larger conductor for the amperage rating. Adding a another set of conductors would not be likely to make the gutter space requirement, and I for one cannot see how this would pass - forget about how the Utility company would see this.

iwire

Staff member

I do not believe it violates 230.7

I do agree with Pierre that the bending space may be violated.

The power company may well have a problem.

All that said here is a meter socket that is in use right now.

FSservice4.jpg

You never know what the POCO will place a meter in.

[ September 10, 2005, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by pierre:
BTW: this is a great picture :eek:
Yeah it is.....in a train wreck sort of way. :eek: :eek:

Yes it's outside.

FSservice1.jpg

A few of the 'odd' things.

1)The meter socket is not related to the disconnect or panel at all.

2)The 2" raceway out the top of the meter is the load not the line.

3)The neutral is taking a 'shortcut'.

[ September 10, 2005, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

jim sutton

The meter can shown is for an overhead service. In our area, meter cans for underground services are about a third larger allowing extra space on the sides for the conductors to cross if needed.

Of course if the POCO has a problem, that is another issue.

The problem is the existing nipple going to the existing panel. What if the building is brick?
When re-building services, sometimes unorthodox methods are required- as long as they do not violate code.

Status
Not open for further replies.