feeder size

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
120 volt feeder or 120/240 volt feeder? What is likelyhood of all mentioned equipment operating at same time?

Find loads and add them up add 25% of continuous load. Balance load between conductors if 120/240.

This is everyday type of stuff from a design point of view, if you have a question on a particular part of the process then ask it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome...
Might depend on who you are wanting to please, the inspector or the customer :grin:
As k-wired notes... a few variables left unanswered.,
If we assume the RV might actually need the full capacity, and you are able to distribute your loads on a 240/120 feeder so the pump is on the phase with the RV then you are looking at a 50 amp load per phase.
If you want to keep a 3% voltage drop, a #6 should suffice, but with that large a 120v motor I would be leery.

Yeah,I failed to mention 120/240......And the RV and 3 horse motor have me leary:}.....This owner has been JACK-LEGGING his own power for a while and acts like he's wanting to finally get it right out in that shed...with all the known loads I was wondering if I would be OVERDOING it with an 80 or 90 amp circuit???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A 120V single 3 hp motor draws 34 amps according to T430.248. Are you sure that is correct . I assume the RV is 120V-- seems like you need a #6 as Gus mentioned but with all those motors I would tend to go to a #4 at least.

If you phase stuff out properly you are looking at 42 amps but our calculated load may be closer to 60 amps. #6 is adaquate for 60 amps at 100' but I still think a #4 may be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.