Feeder tap or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshader7

The residence is being supplied by a utility pole mounted transformer (120/240V single phase on the secondary side). The 100A underground conductors from the transformer feed the existing 100A meter socket on the house and the meter socket feeds a 100A panel with a 2 pole 100A main breaker.
In order to "move" (as requested by owner) a 100A meter on the side of a home to the utility pole wherer the transformer is located, The Power Utility is requiring that the existing components on the transformer secondary to a new meter socket be upgraded to 200A and the new pole mounted meter socket be a 200A rated meter socket with a 200 A, 2 pole circuit breaker.

As stated the existing underground conductors from the pole to the house are rated for 100A.
Are the existing underground conductors considered to be feeder taps and therefore allowed under NEC 240.21 (B)?
Is the new 200A circuit breaker considered to be a service disconnect and therefore the ampere ratings of the existing underground feeders from the 200A CB to the 100A CB at the house panel considered protected?

Thanks for input

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Depends on what they clarify in your area as far as what is considered "Feeder" conductors or "Service" Conductors.

In my area the 200 Amp Disconnect at the Pole is considered the First means of disconnect and it would require a 4 wire feeder from that point to the house panel
Also,
Unless the overcurrent protection at the house panel is within the max distance of the Tap rule (Which I doubt it is) the existing 100 Amp feeder conductors landed on a 200 amp overcurrent device would never fly either.

But thats just in my area.

Others may consider the exising wires "Service" conductors and different rules apply for those.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
Depends on what they clarify in your area as far as what is considered "Feeder" conductors or "Service" Conductors.

In my area the 200 Amp Disconnect at the Pole is considered the First means of disconnect and it would require a 4 wire feeder from that point to the house panel
Also,
Unless the overcurrent protection at the house panel is within the max distance of the Tap rule (Which I doubt it is) the existing 100 Amp feeder conductors landed on a 200 amp overcurrent device would never fly either.

But thats just in my area.

Others may consider the exising wires "Service" conductors and different rules apply for those.

JAP>
Whether or not the conductors between the house and the pole are considered service conductors or feeder conductors may depend on AHJ interpretations and will possibly consider whether or not the disconnect at the pole is considered customer equipment or POCO equipment in this intrepretation.

If it is determined this is not service conductors, there is no length limitation for outside feeder taps. All the conditions of 240.21(B)(5) need to be met, but they likely are they way it sounds, which would leave us with determining whether or not this is a candidate for exempting the EGC with the feeder under 250.32(B)(1) exception 1 or if a EGC must be run.

Status
Not open for further replies.