Feeder Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierre

I saw an interesting service installation for Nextel equipment.
The existing switchgear to this old building only had room for the five disconnects. The engineer designed a 500 AWG tap off of the switchgear bus into a 400 amp service disconnect, with the GEC run with the service conductors from the switchgear to the new disconnect. There was not much room, so all of this pipe work was squeezed into a very tight space. The load side of the 400 amp service disconnect had twin lugs for two other feeder disconnects, one a 200 amp disconnect (3/0 AWG), the other a 100 amp disconnect (3 AWG). It at first looked out of whack to see a 3 AWG feeding off of a 400 amp fuse, but it all complies with 240.21 (B)(1). there was no room for service metering, so they installed Emon meters. I was impressed with the Pipe bends, I hope to receive pics via email from the contractor, I will post them when I get them.

Pierre

ryan_618

Re: Feeder Tap

Hi Pierre. Taps are certainly strange to inspect. Taps less than 10' I typically have no problem with, but it when it gets to 25' or unlimitted taps and the rules change a bit, I always have to get my NEC out of the truck to make sure it is done right. It is hard to sign off on a tap until you are 100% sure that it complies....like you said, they look so non-compliant. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.