Feeder tap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

papa

I am installing power for 10 fork lift battery chargers , 480 v- 1 p , 7 amp. each. would it be correct to pull a # 6 thhn on a 70 amp. breaker and tap it to 10 fused disconnects ( fused at 10 amps ) and then to chargers?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am installing power for 10 fork lift battery chargers , 480 v- 1 p , 7 amp. each. would it be correct to pull a # 6 thhn on a 70 amp. breaker and tap it to 10 fused disconnects ( fused at 10 amps ) and then to chargers?

10 chargers at 7 amps apiece is 70 amps. #6 thhn is only good for 65 amps (75C)

charlie

I don't see a problem except that the loads would be continuous. The feeder should be rated at 78.75 A (63 X 125%). In other words, use #4 Cu 75?C wire and an 80 ampere circuit breaker. :smile:

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Unless these chargers are spaced far apart, I would think a panel would make more sense in both hardware and labor.

papa

Unless these chargers are spaced far apart, I would think a panel would make more sense in both hardware and labor.

I am actually installing a 125 amp panel for the chargers , but was second guessing myself , and thinking maybe a feeder tap would be easier and more cost efficient. These chargers are being relocated from another plant and the fused disconnects are included. They are all close together.

Status
Not open for further replies.