Feeder Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

I'm looking at 2008 NEC article 240.21(B) and wanted to get clarification on what a feeder tap is. My thinking is that it is a smaller wire spliced with a larger wire without OC protection at the tap. Then the smaller wire feeds an overcurrent device (unless 10 ft long or less 240.21(B)(1)). Feeder Tap. Am I right?

Last edited:

Electron_Sam78

Does it mean that it is a tap coming from a feeder? The NEC language says "Conductors shall be permitted to be tapped...to a feeder as specified in 240.21(B)(1) through (B)(5)."

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The feeder tap conductor need to be at least 10% of the ampacity of the OCPD protecting the feeder for the 10' rule. If the tap conductor ampacity is 1/3 or greater than the OCPD protecting the feeder then your tap conductors fall under the 25' rule.

Electron_Sam78

I'm actually just wondering what exactly is meant by the term "feeder tap". Is this only talking about a tap coming from (tapped into) a feeder wire? Or is it talking about the tap conductors being the feeder?

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I'm actually just wondering what exactly is meant by the term "feeder tap". Is this only talking about a tap coming from (tapped into) a feeder wire? Or is it talking about the tap conductors being the feeder?

Yup a feeder tap is a tap of a feeder. (feeder is well defined in NEC)
Just like you can have branch circuit taps and service taps.

1100879923_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.