Feeders blocking servicability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Miller

I work for multple colleges, we recently had a contractor install a replacement panel in one of our machine shops. This panel is a 400A. 208/120Y. Prior to 2nd walkthrough inspection ( the panels were all open) I noted to the contractor that it would be very difficult to perform service on any of the branch circuit conductors or replace any branch, circuit breaker in the future due to installing the #4/0 parallel feeders after the branch circuits were terminated. The #4/0's are coming from the top of the panel to a bottom mounted main-breaker. These conductors are effectively covering access. Also, the EGC's which are multiple#2's/4's are tied down in front of the branch circuit conductors on the opposite side of the panel. I have never installed in this manner, it does not make sense, yet ,the AHJ,myself and the engineer have found no code violations. All I can cite at this point is workmanship/standards and that is still not an acceptable reason for the contractor to correct what I believe is a no-brainer. I am very frustrated as I am thinking back on my days in construction, knowing that if I had installed in this manner, it would not have passed.

kwired

Electron manager
I work for multple colleges, we recently had a contractor install a replacement panel in one of our machine shops. This panel is a 400A. 208/120Y. Prior to 2nd walkthrough inspection ( the panels were all open) I noted to the contractor that it would be very difficult to perform service on any of the branch circuit conductors or replace any branch, circuit breaker in the future due to installing the #4/0 parallel feeders after the branch circuits were terminated. The #4/0's are coming from the top of the panel to a bottom mounted main-breaker. These conductors are effectively covering access. Also, the EGC's which are multiple#2's/4's are tied down in front of the branch circuit conductors on the opposite side of the panel. I have never installed in this manner, it does not make sense, yet ,the AHJ,myself and the engineer have found no code violations. All I can cite at this point is workmanship/standards and that is still not an acceptable reason for the contractor to correct what I believe is a no-brainer. I am very frustrated as I am thinking back on my days in construction, knowing that if I had installed in this manner, it would not have passed.
If done the other way around one could say it would be difficult to service or replace the feeder conductors with all the branch circuit conductors in the way. I don't really get what you think the problem is here, code wise. But at same time if I were the installer I likely would have installed a top feed panel if at all possible. Can't speak for all manufacturers out there but I just installed a similar panel as described - 400 amp 208/120 three phase with 400 amp main breaker - Square D NQ series panel. The main breaker can be installed top or bottom feed without having to special order it one way or the other.

ghorwood

Acceptance

Acceptance

Someone there is the customer's representative. Typically, that person can find this unacceptable and require that it be changed. The quickest fix is as posted above, move the main.

tgreen

although i would agree that having the branch conductors in front of the feeder conductors is better installation practice, i do not see any code violation in the way you described that it was installed.

if there is no code violation, and the specs dont specifiy it to be installed any certian way, then the only way to get them to change it is to pay them to do it. they followed the contract requirments, and without more money, personal preferecne does not superceed the contract documents.

one thing you might check, is NECA standards. Most contracts establish that the NECA book of standards be used as the basis of a quality installation. i am not certian if the make up of a panel is covered, but its worth looking at. it is also good to have it as part of all job specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.