Feeding 1 distribution panel from 2 OCP devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

deerhead

I have customer (Maintenance Electrician) that is insisting to feed a 1200A distribution panel with (2) 600A breakers. Where do I start to look in the NEC for the article that tells me that this not practical? Or is this practice actually possible?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
deerhead said:
I have customer (Maintenance Electrician) that is insisting to feed a 1200A distribution panel with (2) 600A breakers. Where do I start to look in the NEC for the article that tells me that this not practical? Or is this practice actually possible?

Take a look at 240.8

Cold Fusion

deerhead said:
... Where do I start to look in the NEC for the article that tells me that this not practical? Or is this practice actually possible?
No where in the NEC that I know of. It deals very little with "practical" or "possible".

I'd be more curious as to why the customer wants to do this.

As brian said, there are reasons why one might want to do this.

cf

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Problems that could occur are that there is no way to regulate the amount of current that would attempt to flow in each of the feeds. Also, if one breaker tripped, or was turned off, and the panel was loaded above 600A, then the other breaker would become overloaded and trip. Then there is a safety issue, if one was turned off, the panel would still be energized. Finally, if the two breakers were from different sources, then you could have circulating currents flowing causing additional heating. You could also get into a situation with selective coordination under fault conditions.

Besides not meeting 240.8, that should give you a little insight.

Charlie, is your avatar too mean your an old goat?:rolleyes:

Cold Fusion

So, q, charlie, king, explain why this is different from a double ended sub with a full capacity tie, run with the tie closed. Are there design concerns? Sure. Do they have to be addressed? Yes.

Deer -
I'm not suggesting the advice from q, charlie, and king is wrong. It's just that I couldn't give that advice based on a one line explaination of the installation:
(cut) feed a 1200A distribution panel with (2) 600A breakers.
That's not much information to give you a batch of absolutes. I would have to make too many assumptions to arrive at their conclusions.

Also, no one has addressed brian's comment - with the information available, it is perfectly valid.

cf

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't think it is valid with the information that has been provided. It appears to me that they are atempting to serve a 1200 amp load with two 600 amp breakers connected in parallel.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
don_resqcapt19 said:
I don't think it is valid with the information that has been provided. It appears to me that they are atempting to serve a 1200 amp load with two 600 amp breakers connected in parallel.

That is how I understood it also.
If it is as Brian asked then it sounds like it could be a 1200 amp switch
board fed by a utility to utility transfer switch that will only allow one breaker at a time to feed the switch board. Which would be acceptable.

brian john

I agree with Don.

Additionally I see no advantage to doing a set up as described (outside any code issues)

My only point was there are systems with bypasses or dual source feeds operated with one CB open. Generally in these systems the distribution board would be sized the same as one of the input CBs.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Cold Fusion said:
So, q, charlie, king, explain why this is different from a double ended sub with a full capacity tie, run with the tie closed. Are there design concerns? Sure. Do they have to be addressed? Yes.

cf
The difference is that a double ended LV switchgear line-up is designed to be capable of operating in this capacity, and it would have proper system coordination such that breaker interlocks would trip and block close during a fault on one side or the other to isolate. The bus and mains would also be rated to carry the full capacity. You could also probably guarantee that only qualified personnel would be working on it.

What is being described in the OP does not sound like it fits into this category. Especially since each breaker is 1/2 the rating of the bus. I suppose you would have to shunt trip the second breaker to clear a fault, but I think overall it would be a hard sell to a AHJ. Whereas a double ended switchgear line-up is pretty common and accepted.

iwire

Staff member
brian john said:
1. Why?
2. Is this redundant feeds from different sources and one CB is always open.?

It sounds like he is planing on two 600 amp OCPs in parallel to provide 1200 amps which would work (more or less) other then that pesky NEC.:grin:

Cold Fusion

kingpb said:
(cut) What is being described in the OP does not sound like it fits into this category. (cut)[/(quote]

Excellent description. The part about the OP's system may even be true. Probably is. That doesn't change that you guys are reading a lot (a few hundred words in fact) into the nine word phrase the OP used to describe the request.

For example, I can't tell how you (plural and collectively) know the load on the 1200A panel is greater than 600A

cf
edited to clarify

Last edited:
deerhead said:

One way to do it safely is to have the two breakers mechanically tied together so if one trips, the other does too. I would also oversize the conductors by 125% the worse condition tripping range of CB's so if the current difference between the two parallel conductors exceeds the 125% it would trip yet not heated up. Of course if this type overload is to happen then the circuit is useless to begin with.

Another case of Code exception - although it's questionable of you would find an AHJ who would approve it - and technically questionbable installation, but why to do it in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.