Feeding 480 volt line side into the bottom of a fuse block ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

We have a transformer ( 480v to 400 v ) that feeds a product line on the floor . We added a 2nd machine and installed two 3 phase fuse blocks in a enclosure ( on the secondary ) one for each machine . The electrician who wired it wired the 400 v to the fuse blocks on the bottom . I know it's not a good practice but is there any code requirement against doing this ? I believe a knife blade switch requires the top feed but wondered about the fuse block ...

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The NEC mentions not feeding 'fusible switches' from the bottom, they want the blades de-energized when off.
It mentions nothing about non-disconnecting style fuse holders.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with Jim.

If it is non disconnecting fuse holder it doesn't matter. The rule that applies to disconnecting type fuseholders is there so that you de-energize the blades and fuseholders when you open the switch, highly recommended to open it if changing the fuses and can do so with non energized components you will be handling.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I also agree. Especially with bigger wire it is often convenient to come in at the bottom of a fuseblock. For instance, a lot of vfds have all the connections on the bottom. It is thus often convenient to locate a fuseblock immediately below the vfd and feed power from below.

paulengr

So is the primary protection covering the secondary or are you ignoring the wire between the transformer and fuse blocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.