feeding a sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rinpo

Occupation
Sparky
Does electrical code allow running parallel sets of feeder wires in seperate conduits? I have 3 2" conduits below a desired location for a subpanel in a residential dwelling, but they are too small for 4/0 conductors. I'm wondering if I can run either 2 of each conductor in separate conduits or run a set of each in 2 conduits. If so, can I splice them from 4/0 conductors to 2 sets of small diameter conductors in an exterior pull box, or do they need to come from the service in 2 sets.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Even with Sched. 80 PVC, one 2" conduit is large enough for three 4/0s and a #4.

If you choose to parallel, you should have a full set (L, L, N, G) in each conduit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does electrical code allow running parallel sets of feeder wires in seperate conduits? I have 3 2" conduits below a desired location for a subpanel in a residential dwelling, but they are too small for 4/0 conductors. I'm wondering if I can run either 2 of each conductor in separate conduits or run a set of each in 2 conduits. If so, can I splice them from 4/0 conductors to 2 sets of small diameter conductors in an exterior pull box, or do they need to come from the service in 2 sets.
How many amps is the feeder?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Does electrical code allow running parallel sets of feeder wires in seperate conduits? I have 3 2" conduits below a desired location for a subpanel in a residential dwelling, but they are too small for 4/0 conductors. I'm wondering if I can run either 2 of each conductor in separate conduits or run a set of each in 2 conduits. If so, can I splice them from 4/0 conductors to 2 sets of small diameter conductors in an exterior pull box, or do they need to come from the service in 2 setsts

No , all conductors of the circuits must be together so one conduit would need 2 hots and a neutral & possible equipment grounding conductor while the other would be the same but

What kind of sub panel is this for a residence. Also I believe 2- 4/0 and a smaller neutral and an equipment grounding conductor would probably fit in one 2" conduit.

Look at 300.4(B) and then 310.10(H)

Status
Not open for further replies.