Feeding another panel without feed through lugs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrobi030

Having a hard time finding this in the NEC. I have a standard 100A MLO panelboard. The incoming lugs have that panelboard's incoming feeders, as well as outgoing feeders to another panel attached. I am pretty sure the code does not allow this, but does anyone know the specific section? Note...these are not feed thru lugs...the standard incoming lugs have an incoming and outgoing set.

Thanks!!!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I believe that what you are describing is called "double lugs." It is perfectly acceptable. It differs from "feed through lugs" in that when you account for the current flowing through the bus bars, you do not need to include the current flowing in the downstream panel.

Welcome to the forum.

iwire

Staff member
Having a hard time finding this in the NEC. I have a standard 100A MLO panelboard. The incoming lugs have that panelboard's incoming feeders, as well as outgoing feeders to another panel attached. I am pretty sure the code does not allow this, but does anyone know the specific section? Note...these are not feed thru lugs...the standard incoming lugs have an incoming and outgoing set.

Thanks!!!

If you are sure that the lugs are not listed for two conductors it is a listing violation.

However there are single barrel lugs that are rated for two conductors, the barrel in theses are usually oval or figure 8 shaped.

I would not make any definite decisions until I could read the information for the lugs.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you are sure that the lugs are not listed for two conductors it is a listing violation.
Perhaps I misinterpreted the original question. Do you have one lug with two wires connected to it? Or do you have side-by-side lugs (one pair of lugs for each phase and for the neutral), with one wire inserted into each lug?

Status
Not open for further replies.