Feeding Receptacle down excisting wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I just thought of this and was curious. If you had to do this how would you support the raceway in the wall? I am sure greenfield/MC could be used but if EMT was required could this be done? THanks.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would be curious as to how you would be able to get the EMT into the wall in the first place, let alone support it within the wall. My only answer would be to bring a sheet rock installer and a painter into the project. :happyyes:

maghazadeh

I just thought of this and was curious. If you had to do this how would you support the raceway in the wall? I am sure greenfield/MC could be used but if EMT was required could this be done? THanks.

I think you are out of luck with EMT. One side of wall needs to be opened to support.
There is exception for MC and NMC cable in existing walls.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have installed emt from above a hung ceiling. Depending on how much room you have above the ceiling you would cut a hole and drop emt down the wall. I have done this years ago by coupling pieces but I see that it now must be unbroken lengths to meet the exception.

gndrod

Two possibilities I can think of....1)Unsupported BX in blind wall works with grounding
cut-in if that is what you are asking. 2)Depends on the permitted AHJ rules.

handy10

I would be curious as to how you would be able to get the EMT into the wall in the first place, let alone support it within the wall. My only answer would be to bring a sheet rock installer and a painter into the project. :happyyes:

If there is attic space above the wall, it is easy to insert emt that is long enough to reach switch height on the floor below.

iwire

Staff member
I would be curious as to how you would be able to get the EMT into the wall in the first place, let alone support it within the wall.

It happens in short sections but not very often.
358.30(A)
Exception No. 2: For concealed work in finished buildings
or prefinished wall panels where such securing is impracticable,
unbroken lengths (without coupling) of EMT shall
be permitted to be fished.

Status
Not open for further replies.