Feel like I'm being taken advantage of

Status
Not open for further replies.
The company I work for does services on supermarkets. They go from one supermarket to the next.
When I started I was told that we don't use our personal vehicles.
Now they're short of van and they want me to use my car. I've been using it already for over a week and they keep saying a few more days. If I tell them that Im not going to use my car can they fire me? What are the options if they tell me to stay home then

This is the easiest job I've ever had problem is this is my personal vehicle and the only one I have they are paying gas but I don't want to end up losing this job

A lot depends on the state you live in. If you're going from home to job-site and back, that usually counts as "regular commuting" and is entirely on your own dime; OTOH if you're also stopping at the shop or supply house, parts of the trip will be on the clock and may involve either a payout or tax deduction for the mileage.

If this is "regular commute" and they're paying for gas (tolls?), I'd consider whether it's really worth making a fuss.

A lot depends on the state you live in. If you're going from home to job-site and back, that usually counts as "regular commuting" and is entirely on your own dime; OTOH if you're also stopping at the shop or supply house, parts of the trip will be on the clock and may involve either a payout or tax deduction for the mileage.

If this is "regular commute" and they're paying for gas (tolls?), I'd consider whether it's really worth making a fuss.
I'm going from home to job site to next job site ECT back home. And if I need material I have to go to one and only one supply house no matter how far it is

I don't want to be taken advantage of. I'm not making enough money as it is and this is just taking on responsibilities that shouldn't be mine

Buck Parrish

I wouldn't make a big fuss either. After two or three weeks now that's different. Maybe also ask him if he minds you stopping by jiffy lube and giving him the bill.
BTW How far is it to the supply house ? How far are you driving a day ?

Are you transporting materials and company tools, or just yourself and your own tools?
Company does not supply tools. I have a four-door sedan which is my only car with 160,000 on it. I have all my tools in there, hand tools drills bits band saw pipe bender etc.

Like I said we do supermarkets maintenance so I might go to one that's 30 mi away and then I might go to the next and that's 15 mi from there. The supply house could be anywhere from 5 to 50 miles away.
Yesterday alone I went to a job site 50 miles away. From there I went to the supply house which is right by my house another 50 miles back to the job site and back to my house so just about 200 miles

Again, check with the state labor folks, but the general rule is that your site->supplyhouse->site travel is on the clock and should be reimbursed by the company by mileage (currently something like $0.51/mile); you have to keep detailed records of where you drive (date/time/mileage-at-this-location each time you start the car). There are a whole lot of web pages about this.

Also, make sure either the business's insurance covers the use or that your personal policy does! It's not as simple as "we'll pay the gas".

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
How about having them get you a rental car instead? You wouldn't have to worry about wear and tear or insurance. Several large companies restrict personal car usage to 50 miles per day, unless you are covered under a regular auto reimbursement plan.

The van supposedly is supposed to be ready this coming week, it's been in the shop over a week and it's misfiring doesn't take that long to fix.
As far as car rental it's not my decision I'm basically being forced to use my car or I can stay home

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The previous company I worked for would rent a truck or van if needed. The problem they had, since it wasn’t on the fleet GPS, some of the guys would load up the family, and take vacations on the weekend, then get in a wreck, and the insurance didn’t want to pay!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Generally if you are driving for work the company should be paying you mileage for the miles that you drive. It's your responsibility to get yourself to and from work.

Most companies have an expense reimbursement for them you can turn in to get reimbursed for the mileage that you spent driving for them.

However I would not get all that excited about an incidental few miles here and there.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think that you're screwed. They should be paying you for wear and tear/mileage on your personal vehicle or they could have rented a van but it's too late for that. Best you can hope for is that they get the van fixed soon. If this were me and it was as you've said "the easiest job I've ever had" I wouldn't be looking to make waves unless this drags on much longer.

Buck Parrish

Company does not supply tools. I have a four-door sedan which is my only car with 160,000 on it. I have all my tools in there, hand tools drills bits band saw pipe bender etc.

Like I said we do supermarkets maintenance so I might go to one that's 30 mi away and then I might go to the next and that's 15 mi from there. The supply house could be anywhere from 5 to 50 miles away.
Yesterday alone I went to a job site 50 miles away. From there I went to the supply house which is right by my house another 50 miles back to the job site and back to my house so just about 200 miles
IMHO - That's too much driving even if it's not your own vehicle. It's too stressful. But it being your car own with a 160,000 on it. Personally, I would not do it.
Perhaps you can get a job that's harder and more challenging.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
I know a guy this happened to. He was just being nice untill his work truck was fixed. The big issue came up when he was involved in a wreck that was not his fault and was off work and hurt really bad. The company / company insurance ended up being liable for his injuries since he was conducting company business on company time. His auto insurance went back on the company and so did his lawyer.
As many stated know your rights also you can log your miles and take a deduction on your personal taxes at the end of the year if not reimbursed by the company.
Due to that your were required to use your own vehicle for company business so not that big of deal.
Each state is different. If you don't like it don't do it. I would never ask any one to do it. I do believe it refered to as vicious liability.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
That one trip gave your a 56.00 deduction off your taxes. 2021 is .56 a mile. So keep a log book. That is key for proof.
Do that twice a day four days a week for a year $$$ big chunk of change. Do the math

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If you like the job, keep up with all mileage and take the IRS rate for mileage rates off your taxes at the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.