Fence grounding around Ground Mounted PV farm NESC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirenPE

Trying to determine if fence grounding is required at the following plant: 1MW ground mounted solar arrays and pad mounted inverters and transformer.

Here's my inconsistency using NESC 2007:
  • Sect 11 requires all electric supply stations to have a fence and ground it according to Sect 9.
  • Definition of electric supply station exempts pad-mounted equipment from needing a fence.
So if I have a fence around pad mounted equipment, am I still required to ground the fence? (The fence does enclose the ground mounted solar arrays and combiner boxes as well.)

Thanks for all of your help.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Trying to determine if fence grounding is required at the following plant: 1MW ground mounted solar arrays and pad mounted inverters and transformer.

Here's my inconsistency using NESC 2007:
  • Sect 11 requires all electric supply stations to have a fence and ground it according to Sect 9.
  • Definition of electric supply station exempts pad-mounted equipment from needing a fence.
So if I have a fence around pad mounted equipment, am I still required to ground the fence? (The fence does enclose the ground mounted solar arrays and combiner boxes as well.)

Thanks for all of your help.
What does it cost to ground the fence? If it's not that much, then I'd ground it just so your inspector won't twist in the wind over points in the code. There's no electrical downside to extra grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.