Festoon Lighting Over a Deck

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a new deck where she wants string lights hung across the deck. There will be a 1/8" stainless steel messenger cable with the lights attached to it. So here's the question. These light kits (from Amazon) are dimmable and have a plug on the end, designed to plug into an outdoor receptacle. Now if these lights are on a dimmer how would you wire them? Receptacles requires GFCI protection so a receptacle at the end of the circuit won't work being controlled by a dimmer. I'm thinking the only code compliant way to wire these is cut off the plug and to hardwire them. Thoughts?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It only needs to be a GFCI-protected receptacle.

Use a GFCI breaker or receptacle ahead of the dimmer.
What kind of non-GFCI receptacle would you use? And would the GFCI protection actually work before the dimmer to protect the receptacle?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
some sort of inline dimmer on the cord?

Might be hard to find one that is outdoor rated though.
That was my thought, otherwise I cannot think of a way to make this code compliant unless as Larry suggested to put the GFCI protection ahead of the dimmer but that presents a problem with the receptacle type.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What kind of non-GFCI receptacle would you use? And would the GFCI protection actually work before the dimmer to protect the receptacle?
Why not any standard (weatherproof) receptacle?

Shocking current would still be sensed by a GFCI.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm pretty certain if the receptacle is controlled by a dimmer it must be a dimmer rated receptacle that has a rejection feature that only accepts a plug with said rejection feature but seem to be having trouble finding code that applies. Something like this:
1725367474298.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm pretty certain if the receptacle is controlled by a dimmer it must be a dimmer rated receptacle that has a rejection feature that only accepts a plug with said rejection feature but seem to be having trouble finding code that applies. Something like this:
Yup, I've actually installed them a few years ago. The 2014 NEC had this new section but I cannot find it in the 2017 or 2020. I'm thinking that there must be some equivalent section but I cannot find it.

2014 NEC:
406.15 Dimmer-Controlled Receptacles. A receptacle supplying lighting loads shall not be connected to a dimmer
unless the plug/receptacle combination is a nonstandard configuration type that is specifically listed and identified
for each such unique combination.

kwired

Electron manager
Unless the dimmer presented some sort of high frequency leakage that the GFCI doesn't like it should be fine. But that high frequency leakage would be a problem for the GFCI regardless where it is located

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm pretty certain if the receptacle is controlled by a dimmer it must be a dimmer rated receptacle that has a rejection feature that only accepts a plug with said rejection feature but seem to be having trouble finding code that applies.
Okay, install one of those after the GFCI and after the dimmer.

GFCI device --> dimmer --> dimmer-rated receptacle

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
There are many wireless dimmers on the market that you can have the GFCI ahead of the outlet and the outlet run off from the wireless.

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
A lot of the LED string lights have remote controls for the lighting color, brightness, etc,; all with a standard 120v plug...