FIBER CABLE -listing not required?

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Per 770.113(A) and 770.48 it appears Fiber cable is not required to be listed provided it is “outside plant”?
Not entirely sure what this means. We have a large plant currently under construction and the Fiber will be ran between many buildings and lastly to a main control room rack in the operating plant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Outside plant means not in buildings past the Denmark. The outside plant enters the building and runs to a box where it is terminated with connectors, From the connectors jumpers or the correct type of inside fiber is run.
Outside plant fiber does not have a fire resistant jacket and has water blocking material.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Outside plant means not in buildings past the Denmark. The outside plant enters the building and runs to a box where it is terminated with connectors, From the connectors jumpers or the correct type of inside fiber is run.
Outside plant fiber does not have a fire resistant jacket and has water blocking material.

Thanks Tom

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Demark is a telco term, like the service point for power. The NEC limits how far outside plant can run into a building. I liked to have it terminate just inside the building. Or sometimes outside in a NEMA 3R enclosure if an existing building

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Demark is a telco term, like the service point for power. The NEC limits how far outside plant can run into a building. I liked to have it terminate just inside the building. Or sometimes outside in a NEMA 3R enclosure if an existing building

Good to know

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector

So Tom if outside plant FIBER is being terminated inside a building (within 50’) and then routed in underground PVC conduit between buildings for several hundred feet for day, 10 different buildings - does this FIBER cable need to be listed?

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector

What if the Fiber is NOT shown as “outside plant”.