Fiber Optic Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonny1982

Does anyone know of a cheap but reliable fiber obtic tester?

I just need to test a small fiber obtic cable that is run through an innerduct. It is about a 250' run.

thanks

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Do you have a recomendation for each?

thanks
It all comes down to just how much you need to test. Google is your friend, and since I do not have personal experience with any of the products I am not going any farther than the overview below:

For a simple go/no-go test, you can get what is essentially a laser flashlight that will put visible light into the fiber from one end. It will not allow you to certify anything, just troubleshoot breaks. ~$100.
For power measurements, for multi-mode (thick) fiber you will spend anything from $2-400 up to thousands. Not exactly cheap.
The same thing for single-mode (thin) fibers which can run longer distances at higher speeds will cost twice as much.
You cannot go wrong with Fluke, but you will not find cheap there.

For a simple go/no-go test, you can get what is essentially a laser flashlight that will put visible light into the fiber from one end.

For that, I usually use a AA maglite*. It's easy with two people- one waves the light over the fiber and the other watches to see the flashing. It's a bit harder with single-mode but can be done.

*I've also seen people take the lens out of a maglite and mount a ST bulkhead connector on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.