fiberglass ladder treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to treat fiberglass ladders that are beginning to release their fibers? I have a few ladders that spend their lives on the ladder rack baking in the sun and they are starting to raise little tiny fibers that are annoying as all get out when you happen to encounter them. Besides that the ladders are in good shape so I was hoping that there was some kind of spray dope or something that would help extend their service. Or is this a sign that they are ready to be retired?

ishium 80439 said:
Is there any way to treat fiberglass ladders that are beginning to release their fibers? I have a few ladders that spend their lives on the ladder rack baking in the sun and they are starting to raise little tiny fibers that are annoying as all get out when you happen to encounter them. Besides that the ladders are in good shape so I was hoping that there was some kind of spray dope or something that would help extend their service. Or is this a sign that they are ready to be retired?

Go to a marine or boat shop and look for topcoat(?) for fiberglass resin with UV retardant in it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Some recommendations from one ladder manufacturer.
RECOMMENDED METHOD OF PREPARATION
1. Sand the rails of the ladder smooth with a nonmetallic abrasive such as
Scotchbrite?. Do not use ordinary sandpaper or emery cloth as it will leave a
trace of abrasive grit embedded in the rail surface and may cause the surface to
be an electrical conductor.
2. Wash the entire rail surface clean with denatured alcohol or an equivalent
acceptable for health reasons and allow to air dry. Wash down a second time to
ensure that no residue is left on the surface of the ladder.
3. Use a primer followed by one or two coats of either acrylic lacquer or
polyurethane paint with U.V. additives for coating purposes. It is important to
coat the sawed ends of the rails whenever possible. To restore color, apply a
pigmented acrylic lacquer or polyurethane paint. Pigmented coating will screen
out an even greater amount of U.V. while restricting moisture entry.
Several acceptable coatings are on page five.
4. Contact Werner Co. for replacement labels.
3. Ladders stored out-of-doors for extended periods of time can have the effect of
weathering decreased by semi-annual waxing of the rails. Normally a good
commercial non-slip paste wax, such as Trewax3, clear paste wax, will reduce
the possibility of glass fiber prominence.
4. Ladders employed in geographic locales with high U.V. ray exposure can have
extended life and reduced potential for glass fiber prominence by periodic coating
with certain acrylic lacquers, polyurethane coatings or similar materials. The
U.V. additive employed in the resin formulation is gradually consumed during
sunlight exposure. These subsequent coatings replace the U.V. screen or barrier.
5. A spot coating with a highly pigmented polyurethane resin is highly recommended
when the ladder surface has been damaged by localized impact or abrasion. If
there is any structural damage consult Werner Co. on repair or replacement
or discard the ladder.
6. Ladders in service out-of-doors, where high humidity or high humidity coupled
with intense U.V. ray exposure exists, may have their service life increased by
applying a lacquer or paint coating and waxing.
You can read the complete document here.

quogueelectric

I run into the same problem with my fishsticks some people who dont know how to use them and or didnt pay for them bend them too much and this releases the fibers when overbent. Then along comes an unsusspecting jerk like me who gets fibers stuck in thier fingers for a week very painfull I should use a good quality glove when using them but I never want to take the time to get them.

cschmid

quogueelectric said:
I run into the same problem with my fishsticks some people who dont know how to use them and or didnt pay for them bend them too much and this releases the fibers when overbent. Then along comes an unsusspecting jerk like me who gets fibers stuck in thier fingers for a week very painfull I should use a good quality glove when using them but I never want to take the time to get them.

this is a serious issue actually most people don't respect the slivers you can get from fiberglass and they can be serious to have removed..just think what would happen if one got lodged in your eye..new equipement is cheap then..so if you have employees you need to weight the cost of medical and lost time..thanks for the info on the resurfacing of the ladders..

Ragin Cajun

quogueelectric said:

Fishsticks??

brian john

I have found if you leave them on a job someone will take them and then you can buy a new SAFE ladder.

SAFETY FIRST-Falls are one of the leading injuries in the construction trades.

I mean my gloves are ripped 130 C might work just fine but would I do that? NOT.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm glad to see that there is a way to salvage these, especially that there is a method recommended by the manufacturer. These ladders are in good shape, but constant exposure to the sun at 8000' above sea level is begininng to take a toll and I want to try to address the problem before it gets too out of hand.

ishium 80439 said:
Thanks for all of the advice. I'm glad to see that there is a way to salvage these, especially that there is a method recommended by the manufacturer. These ladders are in good shape, but constant exposure to the sun at 8000' above sea level is begininng to take a toll and I want to try to address the problem before it gets too out of hand.

At 8000' the UV exposure is greater than at lower levels.

ItsHot

scaffolding

scaffolding

brian john said:
I have found if you leave them on a job someone will take them and then you can buy a new SAFE ladder.

SAFETY FIRST-Falls are one of the leading injuries in the construction trades.

I mean my gloves are ripped 130 C might work just fine but would I do that? NOT.
Went to a safety show recently and they stated that scaffolding is number one on job accidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.