Final Vote on 2020 NEC?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was told that the NEC held a final vote on the 2020 nec but I don'see it on the site. Does any know if this is true-- I got it from someone locally

210.8 New GFCI requirements.

1. Dryer will be required to be GFCI protected
2. Range will be required to be GFCI protected
3. A/C unit will be required to be GFCI protected
4. Electric Furnace if installed in crawl space, garage, or basement and 50 amps or less will be required to be GFCI protected
5. Water Heated if installed in crawl space, garage, or basement will be required to be GFCI protected
6. Basement receptacles will be required to be GFCI protected (unfinished or finished)

210.12 New AFCI Requirements

1. All 120 volt 15 and 20 amp circuits in a dwelling unit will be required to be AFCI protected 230.67

1. Each Dwelling unit will be required to be protected with Surge Protection 230.85

1. Each dwelling unit will be required to have an emergency disconnect on the exterior of dwelling

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I see they took part of my proposal for 210.12(D) Modifications -- I wanted to extend the length and get the cmp to exclude the length inside of JB's and enclosures. They choose the latter----:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I see most proposal are for all receptacles 120-240 v must be gfci protected. What I don't see is that all circuits, with or without a receptacle, will need gfci

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was told that the NEC held a final vote on the 2020 nec but I don'see it on the site. Does any know if this is true-- I got it from someone locally

4. Electric Furnace if installed in crawl space, garage, or basement and 50 amps or less will be required to be GFCI protected
5. Water Heated if installed in crawl space, garage, or basement will be required to be GFCI protected
6. Basement receptacles will be required to be GFCI protected (unfinished or finished)

1. All 120 volt 15 and 20 amp circuits in a dwelling unit will be required to be AFCI protected 230.67

1. Each Dwelling unit will be required to be protected with Surge Protection 230.85

1. Each dwelling unit will be required to have an emergency disconnect on the exterior of dwelling

I hate most of these.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
All of the Certified Amending Motions that passed at the technical session go back the the CMPs, and have to be approved by a 2/3s vote of the panel members, and then, it goes to the Standards Council where it has to be approved again by a 3/4s vote of the Standards Council members, so those sections are not yet final. There is also the chance of appeals to the Standards Council for CAMs that failed to get a majority vote at the technical session.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am not aware of any specific rule that would require water heaters to have GFCI protection, unless they are cord and plug connected.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The argument for making all basement receptacles gfci protected was made based on the fact that being finished didn't guarantee a non conductive surface, st least by one proposal. How ridiculous. How is that different from a house on a slab---

I better not give them any ideas. :D

Don, that was my point about the receptacle being gfci not hot wired. We will see.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

All this is backed up with incidents and statistics of course :roll:

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
No, I am not a member of NFPA and I have written proposals. Now getting on the panels may take some pull...

You do have to create an account- it is free then you can visit all the proposals etc.

Go here---https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stan...ds/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=70 choose next addition and then make sense of what is there.

Thx Den
So objectively ,i guess one could say it's the cycle of the toroid....

toroidal-inductor-250x250.jpg

For whatever (enter rational) reason , big (services) small (outlets) are being scrutinized and subjected to this one key element inherent of all enhanced ocpd devices.

But it's disjointed imho, there is no overall design of coordinated ma from the service on through feeders ,branch circuits , end use outlets

If the NEC is going to evolve towards IEC standards, one would imagine more attention to specifics follow, especially given the manufacturers writing NEC proposals hail from international companies

jhmo:cool:

~RJ~

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Hopefully by the time the 2020 gets adopted here (we are on 14) I'll be long retired. Maybe it's time to start lobbying your state to stay where they are. Why do they think they need to adopt a new code every time the NEC comes up with a different idea.

-Hal

peter d

How many a/c units in Florida or Arizona or anywhere else hot do you think will be GFCI protected after the inspection is over? :roll::happyno:

This is just getting way out of control. What they have lost sight of is that the cost of any safety improvement must be taken into account. Most of these things have a high cost with a very small benefit. Many people will end up cutting costs/corners somewhere else and face risks orders of magnitudes higher, such as perhaps having a brother in law do electrical work, or any number of non electrical things. Lots of lives would be saved if the speed limit was 30 MPH........

Status
Not open for further replies.