Finding NEC Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Finding NEC Codes

I like it so much, I've added Luminaires (Lighting Fixtures) to my daily conversations: "Hey, Mel! You forgot to hang the Dining Room Luminaire--Lighting Fixture! You take care of that, I'm going to check out the Luminaires, that is, Lighting Fixtures on the second floor!"

How would you word that though? The entire code is littered with it...? :confused:

physis

See, there's proof, George likes it. :D

Anyway, I use Lighting Fixture on all my paper work. I would prefer to loose the French, or the invented Fernch or whatever it is. Ampacity I undertand, Luminaire I don't.

Edit: Sorry George, I meant to put the grinning guy in there but I guess I dropped the ball. No offence intended.

[ December 11, 2004, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

charlie

Luminaire will stay and so will (lighting fixture) unless the proposal is made to remove it from the entire Code. There was no proposal last cycle to take it out so the individual code panels would not take that action on their own.

Make a proposal. :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by physis:
See, there's proof, George likes it.
There's the cheap shot, yeah! :)

Anyway, would you just write a sentence stating, "everywhere it's written, remove Luminaire?" Because if you have to list every code reference, I know Charlie has a CD... :)

[ December 10, 2004, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

charlie

No, your proposal could be simply, "Please remove "(light fixture)" from the entire NEC since it is no longer needed. The proposal made in that manner will make it to every code making panel and be acted upon. The TCC will make sure the action will be consistent throughout the Code. :D

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

How many of you when you write up the invoice put down "Install new luminaire in living room? I know the first question from the customer would be "What's a luminaire"? :roll:

lady sparks lover

Originally posted by electricman2:
How many of you when you write up the invoice put down "Install new luminaire in living room? I know the first question from the customer would be "What's a luminaire"? :)

[ December 10, 2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: lady sparks lover ]

physis

You know what George, I'm still getting a kick out of your using luminaire (lighting fixture) in normal conversation. :D

If I did that no one would get it, I'm the only guy I work with that uses the NEC.

ryan_618

I haven't totally incorporated the word luminaire into my daily speach. I have instead elected to use the metric designators...such as "Run down to the truck and grab me a metric desginator 16 EMT bender". :D

Thanks Charlie for your compliment on this thread. I agree with most others, in that you will typically only know what you need to know. For example, I can qoute article and section on many items, but don't ask me anything about over 600 volt systems, or some of the abstract articles in chapter 6, like integrated systems or photovoltaics.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that Charlie E says that he isn't one of the people that can quote code. Charlie: I specifically remember you and I drinking beer in a hotel bar in Salt Lake, talking about grounding. We probably spat out more numbers than we did words, such as 250.24(B) when compared to 250.4(B)(3) is sort of like 250.4(A)(4), except 250... blah blah blah.

WARNING: Code geeks have taken over the bar! Please grab your ear plugs less you experience a strong desire to take a nap! :D

[ December 11, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

yanert

I would imagine for many of us, this forum might be the only place to stay fresh on many of the situations we might incounter daily. I really can understand how electrical inspectors would relish this site as they are always getting confronted with code situations. I for one have never installed an electrical service over 400 amps or done anything with a swimming pool, but on my license, It says I should have a understanding of it. Tons to know, and if you dont apply it very much, it goes south. Over the last year with going to this forum, my code book is getting pretty marked up with references that you folks have helped me find. Not only references, but examples that help stick the reason why in my head.

itasca_mn

Its tough to beat top quality continuing ed classes to help spur your desire to keep digging into the NEC.

If any of you are ever given the opportunity, I urge you to attend a seminar given by this man. I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

National Electrical Seminars

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by physis:
Edit: Sorry George, I meant to put the grinning guy in there but I guess I dropped the ball. No offence intended.
None taken--but I meant that about the thing by the place with the thing. I meant no offense by the "You Bet" thing either. I'd value your deeper insight on that... :)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I am on my fourth code cycle instructing. I get the Mike Holt Illustrated changes, go to his seminar if at all possible, or get his video.
And I use the IAEI Analysis of the Code to find out the ROP and ROC for each change, then I read the ROP and ROC for each.
To the orginal poster, get the ROP and ROC from the NFPA, free, in paper, and go thru and see who proposed and who commented. You'll find many of the changes this cycle were rejected as a proposal example 210.8(A)(7). This will help you with the flavor of the NEC.

ka6chp

LUMINAIRE IS A TERM MOSTLY USED BY ENGINEERS, ETC... TRY THE I E S LIGHTING HANDBOOK, AND IT SEEMS LIKE THAT THIS IS THE ONLY WAY THEY CAN DESCRIBE A LIGHTING FIXTURE. I GENERALLY USE LIGHTING FIXTURE, UNLESS I'M DEALING WITH ENGINEERING AND ARCHITECT TYPES. AS FOR METRIC DESIGNATORS ON CONDUIT.. I LOVE IT !! MUCH MORE EXACTING. HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED THE FACT THAT THE EVENTUAL GOAL OF THESE CODE-WRITERS IS A COMMON CODE FOR ALL OF THOSE COUNTRIES ON U S STANDARD, ELECTRICALLY, I.E. EVERYTHING FROM THE ARCTIC TO ECUADOR ? IF YOU CAN, GET A HOLD OF THE CANADIAN ELECTRICAL CODE (CEC) AND YOU WILL FIND WORD-FOR WORD DUPLICATIONS OF WHAT WE HAVE IN OUR NEC. ALSO NOTE THAT IN THE CEC, "ACKNOWLEDGEMENT" IS MADE TO THE NFPA FOR NEC MATERIEL INCLUDED IN THE CEC. ALSO NOTE THAT THE NEC IS NOW AVAILABLE IN SPANISH, AND THE CEC IS ALSO AVAILABLE IN FRENCH... IT'S A NAFTA THING ?? JIM IN L A

charlie

George, I don't know if the ROP or ROC is still available from the NFPA in electronic form or paper since the cycle is over. However, they will be available during the 2008 cycle and you will hear about them here.

The electronic version will be available for a free download on the NFPA site and the paper copy is free for a phone call. I have always thought free was a good price. The paper one is automatic if you make a proposal or a comment. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.