Finding new construction homes to wire

Synergy4

Occupation
Master electrician
Is there a website out there that shows you a list of general contractors or developers that are looking for electricians to wire new construction homes? Outside of driving around to see the new subdivisions going up in my county. I am unsure if there is a one stop place to find leads. I know there are plenty of lead generation websites for larger commercial projects and Apartments. I just can’t seem to find anything for single-family homes.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I don't know of any lead generators or "looking for electrician" sites for new construction, but permits are public records.

Call your City Hall or County Commissioner, or whoever issues permits. They can provide a list of everyone who has applied for new construction permit

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Almost every house under construction has a sign out front with the contractor's name. Visiting some of the new neighborhoods will give you an idea of the contractors working near you, and the types of houses they build.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Almost every house under construction has a sign out front with the contractor's name. Visiting some of the new neighborhoods will give you an idea of the contractors working near you, and the types of houses they build.
That's what he said he doesn't want to do.
Or maybe he's done that

Synergy4

Occupation
Master electrician
The GC and developers that are looking, are looking for low price. Have fun.
One man in a van with no shop that uses stilts. Starting a company from scratch so I’m taking even low margin jobs while working for my current contractor. you need something on the books to get started, it’s hard to start when there’s nothing there… obviously I’ll be filling up as much as I can for service work but it’s nice to know if there’s some guaranteed weeks of work out there. Definitely not a long term plan

Synergy4

Occupation
Master electrician
That's what he said he doesn't want to do.
Or maybe he's done that
Willing to do it, but have that type of marketing yet. I am about two months out from starting. I am willing to give it another month or two more if I’m unable to find guaranteed work before quitting my current job.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Willing to do it, but have that type of marketing yet. I am about two months out from starting. I am willing to give it another month or two more if I’m unable to find guaranteed work before quitting my current job.
I have spent entire weekends just driving through new subdivisions, writing names and numbers. Results were a mixed bag. Talking with subs was more fruitful

I suggested permit info because you said county, which makes me think not a large metro area.

Even if it's a large builder, one you couldn't possibly service fully, you can ask if they have anything outlying.

I know of builders here who will occasionally build something off the beaten path, and they'll consider using different subs for those houses

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
The new construction contractors I got were from connections to other subs I had. You need to make friends with new construction plumbers and hvac guys and framers. If you make friends with the framers you'll get your name out before they even start. There's a few ways you get work this way but lead generation won't get you new construction but will get you service work.

Synergy4

Occupation
Master electrician
The new construction contractors I got were from connections to other subs I had. You need to make friends with new construction plumbers and hvac guys and framers. If you make friends with the framers you'll get your name out before they even start. There's a few ways you get work this way but lead generation won't get you new construction but will get you service work.
Thank you very much that is very helpful and great advice. I have made friends with framers throughout the years I will hit them up first.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
My experiennce with GC's and new construction wiring;
GC mostly doing all wiring "in house" not looking for an electrician other than sometimes for the service set up, or when they get into a jam because "Not sure what happened, but can't figure out where this wire went".
GC that is hiring an electrician is looking for the "cheapest" and fastest. One man operation not generally getting hired for new wiring jobs for whole house residential.
GC not usually giving a timely notification that your service will be needed. Usually calls and want it start tomorrow, and done in just a couple of days because they scheduled the insulation company for later in the week. If you're not available at the drop of the hat, they don't bother calling again.
Tell the GC "IT" can't be done that way or, to meet code it must be this way; you won't get called again. GC's around me are kings of "Can't your Just".

BUT if you are intent on this work with multiple GC's,
Try googling for GC's in your area, finding out who the owner is and schedule a meeting with them to discuss what you can offer them and what they could use from an "electrician" rather than maybe already in house operation.
Maybe even scheduling a meeting at a job site with a GC & show up with a box of donuts and carton of coffee from a "Good" donut shop for the "Guys", with business cards in hand. Getting in good with the framers, if you get the jobs from the GC, goes a long way in making your life easier. Give trhem your card too as they also know people that might get you work too.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
What size residential area are you in? A subdivision where there are only 2 or 3 single family units being framed at a time is likely different than one with 120 multifamily units. The construction market in Fond du Lac is different than it is in Verona much less in a different state like California or Texas.