finished basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire monk

Do finished basements need to be wired in 12 are 14 gauge wire for the recp's branch circuits?? Does any one have a code section??

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree. But to that I will add that there are code sections that tell us certain circuits must be rated 20 amps. From that we conclude the wire size must be at least #12. Examples are Small Appliance Circuits and bathroom receptacle circuits. There are no similar rules for general purpose receptacle circuits, and no similar rule specifically addressing the basement.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Do finished basements need to be wired in 12 are 14 gauge wire for the recp's branch circuits?? Does any one have a code section??
How many receptacles? How big is the room? What are you likely to have in use simultaneously? What's the biggest lilely load?

Sometimes, it's better to separate general-use receptacles and load-specific ones, and overhead lighting separate still.

Personally, I like 20a receptacle circuits and 15a lighting circuits.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have some New York City electricians telling me that lighting ckts have to be on a 15a breaker. I dont get it. Even if wired in 12 wire.

That would be true if you were using the old NYC electrical code. 20 amp lighting circuits were only permitted for 277 volt lighting. That code is long gone however.

Status
Not open for further replies.