Fire alarm annunciator circuit on exterior of building

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to a walk thru today to see about providing a price to run an annunciator from an existing FACP to a location in center of building. The building design is similar to a strip mall. Large shell broken up into smaller businesses.
I proposed running a conduit out of the riser room, from panel, to the exterior and continuing the raceway down building until I reach a common area where I can re-enter the building.
Fire alarm vendor told me that it is not permissible to run FA circuits outside building in any raceway.
the conduit would consist of 24volt power and signaling cable for parallel controls, is that still considered fire alarm circuits because it originates from FACP?
I cannot find anything code related in 760 that explains permissible or exclusions on either the exterior install or the prohibiting of.

Can you tell me where to look?

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
I have run FA cable outside many, many times. I do not know of any code prohibiting it. How else would you connect separate building to one system? I do use outdoor rated cable and do install surge suppressors at both ends.

Thank you for your input. In further discussion with customer there concern was physical damage and lightning protection as well as aesthetic.
I provided the option of rigid and suppression but they would rather see the raceway on internal of structure and pay the associated cost of doing so.

thanks again,

they are going to put their drawing layout on the back of a large check.

Fire Pro

Occupation
Owner/CEO of Fire Pro
Fire alarm annunciator circuit on exterior of building

EMT is used constantly to run fire alarm cable on the exterior, underground, etc. Code doesn't prohibit that.

Status
Not open for further replies.