Fire Alarm conduit identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

ideasi

We have a little debate going on in our office that I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on. We have in our specs that fire alarm conduit is to be painted red or marked with red tape every 10' and the person who wrote the spec swears this originated from some code requirement from the NFPA or NEC, but we can't seem to find it. The closest we've found is NEC article 760.10, which simply calls for FA terminations and boxes to be identifiable, but it doesn't mention raceway and it doesn't specifically state it needs to be red. Any clarification anyone could add to the discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

electricalperson

i never seen any codes that required red tubing or conduit. only seen it in specs from the fire department or something like that. usually they ask for red junction box covers and dont really ask for conduit. we always run fire alarm mc or fire alarm cable

i like the red cable even if the insulation is like paper

ron

NEC section 760.30 requires that the circuits be identified at terminal and junction locations. Most just paint the jbox covers and/or boxes them self red to comply.
I also like identifying the conduit every 10', even though it is above the minimum code requirement.

jeffcmag

RE: conduit ID

RE: conduit ID

I have seen that before and believe that the state of Rhode Island fire code requires conduit marking every 10 ft. Red for fire alarm. We used to paint the couplings.

Status
Not open for further replies.