Fire Alarm Conduit Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEP_PM

Can a fire alarm conduit be attached to a Unistrut rack with electrical conduits? Or must it be independently supported to structure?

MEP_PM

Volta, thanks for the response. One of my guys reported a Fire Marshal doing a walk thru say it had to be independently supported but gave no references. Before we questioned the Fire Marshal, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything.

Volta

Volta, thanks for the response. One of my guys reported a Fire Marshal doing a walk thru say it had to be independently supported but gave no references. Before we questioned the Fire Marshal, I wanted to make sure I wasn?t missing anything.
Of course every response uses some assumptions, mine was that the Unistrut rack also supports electrical conduits.
Can a fire alarm conduit be attached to a Unistrut rack with electrical conduits? Or must it be independently supported to structure?

I assume that the FA conduit is not attached to a Unistrut rack with electrical conduits (as in using the electrical conduits as a support for the FA conduits). Slight difference. :roll:

MEP_PM

Volta,
I better not find out the guys bend “Christmas ornament hooks” out of conduit. I can hear it now, He told us to use the conduit to make the supports. :)

You’re assumption is correct. The FA conduits are attached to a unistrut (using the proper attachments) parallel to electrical conduits attached to the same unistrut.

paul_msc

MEPPM, he was probably thinking about fire alarm cabling NOT installed in conduit needs to be secured to the building structure.
I had an inspector last month telling me that tapping speakers too high would result in strobes losing synchronization. I tried to explain it was 2 separate systems involved but it was futile.

Status
Not open for further replies.