Fire Alarm Design in Existing Mixed Use Building

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
In New York City I am working on a very complex existing mixed use 3 section building, they share all utilities with each other. The commercial space and residential building share the same sprinkler service and fire pump. Each section of the building has one commercial store on the 1st floor

Section 1 and 3 of the building has no fire alarm control panel that monitors the commercial space but has a pull station in residential lobby door from the existing old non-addressable fire alarm located in section 2 of the building.

Section 2 of the building has an old non-addressable illegal fire alarm panel that monitor the residential portions and it is not up to code and I am replacing it. There is a separate legal fire alarm panel that monitors the commercial space in this section only.

I found this bulletin which tells us how to deal with situations like this:
https://www.nyc.gov/site/fdny/news/b1215/office-technology-management-bulletin-12-1-2015#/0

In advisory #2 it says "Interconnect fire alarm systems for alarm activation, may comprise one system with multiple fire alarm panels(FCC’s) for separately designed and/or demised occupancies"

What do they mean when they say "may comprise of one system with multiple fire alarm panels"? Aren't multiple fire alarm panels more than one system? How can one system comprise of multiple fire alarm panels?

I am doing the design for only residential portion of the 3 section building. I honestly don't know if I am obligated to do the commercial spaces.

Last edited:

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
With peer to peer networking between FACPs, multiple fire alarm panels doesn't mean they are separate systems.
For peer to peer connection do I just call for peer to peer for monitoring of status, trouble and alarm? how is that wired?

Does FDNY require you to file the plans separately for each different occupancy?

Or can R2 and Commercial fire alarm design be on the same drawings and file all at once?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If you have mixed use occupancies and don't have 2-hour fire separation between them, you must design the fire protection system according to the most stringent occupancy requirements.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
If you have mixed use occupancies and don't have 2-hour fire separation between them, you must design the fire protection system according to the most stringent occupancy requirements.
They are separated by 2 hour barriers. Its the same building 3 section building with 3 different addresses sharing the same sprinkler system.

it has 3 electric services in the front and 1 electric service in the back of the building.

Should I should put the main fire alarm panel dedicated for R2 occupancy in the front to cover the front portion and then put DGP panel in the back to cover the back portion? The main fire alarm panel will be powered by one of the electric services from the front of the building and then the DGP will be powered from the back. I will connect SLC circuit between fire alarm panel and DGP together

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I think I am over-thinking this. As Ron pointed out, i just need to peer to peer connections and provide network cards to all FACPs at every section of the building and occupancy. That way they all communicate and monitor each other

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I think I am over-thinking this. As Ron pointed out, i just need to peer to peer connections and provide network cards to all FACPs at every section of the building and occupancy. That way they all communicate and monitor each other
It could be even simpler. Is there a single owner for the entire building? Put the panel in his occupancy and *poof* addressable devices are your friends.