Fire Alarm devices for machine-less elevator and machine room elevator

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
My understanding for fire alarm devices for elevators. (excluding special cases). Scenario below is for 2 or 3 levels elevator.

Machine-less elevator (no equipment room, equipment in hoist-way):
  • Smoke detectors outside each elevator lobby floor for recall protocol.
  • Smoke detector in the hoist-way for recall and flash helmet in elevator.
  • Heat detector within 2 feet if there is a sprinkler in the hoist-way for shunt trip.
Elevator with machine room:
  • Smoke detector in the elevator equipment room for recall and flash helmet in elevator.
  • Heat detector in the elevator equipment room and hoist-way if sprinkler is there for shunt trip.
---------------------

My question is
  1. When are heat detectors required outside elevator lobby at different floors instead of smoke? Because i know i have seen heat detectors outside elevator lobby on different floors instead of smoke before.
  2. Is smoke detector required in the hoist-way of an hydraulic elevator with a machine room? if the elevator machine room has a smoke detector there.

Thank you

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
My understanding for fire alarm devices for elevators. (excluding special cases). Scenario below is for 2 or 3 levels elevator.

Machine-less elevator (no equipment room, equipment in hoist-way):
  • Smoke detector in the hoist-way for recall and flash helmet in elevator.
  • Heat detector within 2 feet if there is a sprinkler in the hoist-way for shunt trip.
Elevator with machine room:
  • Smoke detector in the elevator equipment room for recall and flash helmet in elevator.
  • Heat detector in the elevator equipment room and hoist-way if sprinkler is there for shunt trip.
---------------------

My question is
  1. When are heat detectors required outside elevator lobby at different floors instead of smoke? Because i know i have seen heat detectors outside elevator lobby on different floors instead of smoke before.
  2. Is smoke detector required in the hoist-way of an hydraulic elevator with a machine room? if the elevator machine room has a smoke detector there.

Thank you
1. Generally speaking, heat detectors would not be allowed as replacements for smoke detectors in an elevator lobby. The exception is if the environment is not suitable for the smoke detector, such as a lobby in a parking garage, exposed to the ambient temperature and/or weather.
2. The smoke detector would be required if there is a sprinkler in the hoist-way (pit doesn't count) or if there is a smoke vent at the top of the hoist-way. One would be required in the elevator machine room. If there is no sprinkler in the hoist-way, you are not allowed to put a smoke detector in it.

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
1. Generally speaking, heat detectors would not be allowed as replacements for smoke detectors in an elevator lobby. The exception is if the environment is not suitable for the smoke detector, such as a lobby in a parking garage, exposed to the ambient temperature and/or weather.
2. The smoke detector would be required if there is a sprinkler in the hoist-way (pit doesn't count) or if there is a smoke vent at the top of the hoist-way. One would be required in the elevator machine room. If there is no sprinkler in the hoist-way, you are not allowed to put a smoke detector in it.

That is very helpful thank you. I do have more questions that comes up in that case based on those responses.

1. Do they make smoke type detectors for exterior locations outside of lobby or is heat detector a must in those situations? i have a situation where the elevator opens to an exterior location.
2. So smoke detectors are required in the elevator machine room anyways with or without sprinklers. In a machineless elevator they are required only if there is a sprinkler at the top of hoist-way or above the lowest recall level?
3. Are heat detectors required within a sprinkler in the machine room or at the top of a hoist-way if there is a sprinkler at top?

gadfly56

Occupation
That is very helpful thank you. I do have more questions that comes up in that case based on those responses.

1. Do they make smoke type detectors for exterior locations outside of lobby or is heat detector a must in those situations? i have a situation where the elevator opens to an exterior location.
2. So smoke detectors are required in the elevator machine room anyways with or without sprinklers. In a machineless elevator they are required only if there is a sprinkler at the top of hoist-way or above the lowest recall level?
3. Are heat detectors required within a sprinkler in the machine room or at the top of a hoist-way if there is a sprinkler at top?
1. No manufacturer that I am aware of makes a smoke detector suitable for exterior locations, at least in the US. I believe there is a brand in the UK, Apollo, that is listed to -10C or something. In the US, the UL listing is limited to 32F - 100F, sometimes 110F.
2. Yes, in the machine room to trigger recall, with or without sprinklers. In a machineless elevator, you need one 5 feet above the controller even without sprinklers in the hoistway.
3. Heat detectors are required within 24" of each sprinkler in a machine room or at the top of the hoistway. If sprinklers are properly installed in the pit, they do not require a heat detector.

gadfly56

Occupation
1. No manufacturer that I am aware of makes a smoke detector suitable for exterior locations, at least in the US. I believe there is a brand in the UK, Apollo, that is listed to -10C or something. In the US, the UL listing is limited to 32F - 100F, sometimes 110F.
2. Yes, in the machine room to trigger recall, with or without sprinklers. In a machineless elevator, you need one 5 feet above the controller even without sprinklers in the hoistway. This is still somewhat fluid, as machineless elevators are a recent phenomenon, code-wise, for fire alarm. I don't think people really know how to address the issue.
3. Heat detectors are required within 24" of each sprinkler in a machine room or at the top of the hoistway. If sprinklers are properly installed in the pit, they do not require a heat detector.