Fire Alarm- Elevator Recall required for All Elevators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

designer82

I have a large high end residential project, Type R-3, that has an elevator.

The state code does not require a fire alarm system for this type of occupancy, but since there is the elevator, does an elevator recall fire alarm system need to be provided?

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
You would still be required to have smoke/heat detection in the elevator lobby, hoistway and machine room for elevator recall per NFPA 72. So as far I understand the code, yes you would need the recall system.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You would still be required to have smoke/heat detection in the elevator lobby, hoistway and machine room for elevator recall per NFPA 72. So as far I understand the code, yes you would need the recall system.
Yes, there is a section in NFPA that deals exactly with this. See section 21.3 in the 2013 edition for "Elevator Recall for Fire Fighter's Service" and specifically 21.3.2 and the Annex A note thereto. It would be classified as a dedicated function fire alarm control unit and designated as "elevator recall control and supervisory control unit" and permanently identified as such. It is not required to ring the notification appliances if any are present but would have to report to the main fire alarm panel, if present.

victor.cherkashi

First I would ask architect or code consultant if the elevator is defined to serve fire fighters for evacuation and other purposes. If elevator recall is required, simple smoke detector with dry contact can be tied into elevator control panel without installation of sophisticated fire alarm system.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.