Fire Alarm - Exterior Notification for R-2 Occupancies

Occupation
Commercial Fire Alarm Designer
Hi all,

I’m posting to hopefully gain some knowledge regarding notification appliances on exterior balconies/terraces of R-2 occupancies. I’m working on a project where there are multiple exterior terraces. It is a high-rise hotel, and the design team is questioning which appliances are necessary and which ones we can delete.

The terraces vary in size. Some are 99 sq. ft. and are located outside some of the hotel rooms. Another terrace is on the 2nd floor, very large and has lots of seating. And lastly there is a rooftop bar/pool.

What code dictates whether an exterior area is required to achieve visibility and/or intelligibility/audibility? I did some digging but could not find any specifics for required notification for out-door areas (other than dedicated waterflow notification). Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Occupation
Commercial Fire Alarm Designer
I would refer to the adopted Building Code in the section applying to Occupant Notification. In the latest IBC it is Section 907.5
Hey Ron,

I was hoping there would be something out there specific to outdoor areas. But, I suppose the direction here would be to lean on the following code references:

907.5.2.1.1 Average sound pressure.
The audible alarm notification appliances shall provide a sound pressure level of 15 decibels (dBA) above the
average ambient sound level or 5 dBA above the maximum sound level having a duration of not less than 60
seconds, whichever is greater, in every occupiable space within the building.

907.5.2.3.1 Public use areas and common use areas.
Visible alarm notification appliances shall be provided in public use areas and common use areas.

farmantenna

you're more experienced than me but I was questioning the same thing on two hotel jobs. There is notification along the exterior covered walkways. 1st and 2nd floor. You're situation is different but understandable. Someone could be lounging on the terrace while the building is on fire and wouldn't hear the inside notification. I don't understand my covered walkway because it's not confining and you could just walk away from the building. But I see all the motel/hotels have it. I was questioning the sprinkler installers about all the exterior heads for the exterior walkways.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Many hotels/resorts have music piped everywhere on their grounds. Are there plans for an override of the PA system so you can hear the alarms?
re: the covered walkway-- you need to hear the alarm to know you -should- just walk away from the building!