Fire Alarm monitoring of hood fire system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

How to connect to an existing zoned fire alarm system to monitor a kitchen food fire suppression system?
1. If all zones are already used???
2. If there is a spare zone (or if a new FA system)? Do you need a listed device in between or do you just connect to dry NO contact?

Bonus question - By "monitor" I assume the ICC means report to the monitoring company but not necessarily alarm the building?

Next week - how to connect to an addressable fire alarm system? (I think this would be easier.)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
How to connect to an existing zoned fire alarm system to monitor a kitchen food fire suppression system?
1. If all zones are already used???
2. If there is a spare zone (or if a new FA system)? Do you need a listed device in between or do you just connect to dry NO contact?

Bonus question - By "monitor" I assume the ICC means report to the monitoring company but not necessarily alarm the building?

Next week - how to connect to an addressable fire alarm system? (I think this would be easier.)

1. Pick a zone that already serves the kitchen and tie into it. Make a note on the zone list. Done.
2. You don't need a listed device. Tie into the micro switch supplied by the suppression system manufacturer. It's going to be UL listed for this purpose. Note that the micro switch for the fire alarm panel is different from the one for tripping shunt coils or contactors and the like. That's true for 1. also. If you have an addressable system, you'll use an addressable input module to monitor the suppression system.

nhfire77

Fire Alarm monitoring of hood fire system?

1- you cannot share it with other devices it needs to be on its own zone (unless AHJ is ok with it and if you're in the same area as me , New England, it won't be)

2- if it's just monitoring a NO dry contact it's fine to connect to most panels directly.

Bonus- you would set off the general alarm in almost all cases, again AHJ dependent.

New week- single point monitor input module

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gadfly56

Occupation
1- you cannot share it with other devices it needs to be on its own zone (unless AHJ is ok with it and if you're in the same area as me , New England, it won't be)

2- if it's just monitoring a NO dry contact it's fine to connect to most panels directly.

Bonus- you would set off the general alarm in almost all cases, again AHJ dependent.

New week- single point monitor input module

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. There is no requirement I know of in either NFPA 72 or 17A or the building or mechanical codes to put this signal on a dedicated zone. If the AHJ doesn't like it, it's either a local amendment or a "shirt pocket" rule.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by "connect to most panels directly". If it's a conventional panel, you need some kind of contact closure device. The control heads for any wet chem system I've ever seen are not pre-wired with these switches, you have to mount them in the field and use an end of line device for supervision.

olc

Thanks for the replies.
Ansul systems have a NO microswitch on the control head (I understand). I don't know about other systems.

What if the zoned system is full and there is no existing kitchen zone? Would it work to connect to a zone if the AHJ allows?

gadfly56

Occupation
Thanks for the replies.
Ansul systems have a NO microswitch on the control head (I understand). I don't know about other systems.

What if the zoned system is full and there is no existing kitchen zone? Would it work to connect to a zone if the AHJ allows?

The Ansul Auto-Man control head can be equipped with up to four (4) single pole double throw micro switches (form C relays). They will be NO or NC depending on how you wire them.

The requirements for connecting to the fire alarm panel are clear. If the panel exists, you have to make it happen. If the panel is full and there is no device in the kitchen then you will need to install a zone expander card for the panel (if one exists) or, as you suggest, consult the AHJ for acceptable alternatives. You may be forced to replace the panel. This is where even small addressable FACP's are well worth the investment.

iwire

Staff member
Thanks for the replies.

Just a note, here they do not allow splicing in the Ansul box, we have to run the leads to a box just outside the Ansul box.

gadfly56

Occupation
Usually with a handy box or 4" square hanging off the side with an offset nipple. :roll:

We did mostly Kidde systems. We'd put two boxes on the wall with short lengths of flex. One box was for the alarm contact and the other was for whatever else needed controlling. That way the electrician didn't have to open the control head to make his connections.

iwire

Staff member
We did mostly Kidde systems. We'd put two boxes on the wall with short lengths of flex. One box was for the alarm contact and the other was for whatever else needed controlling. That way the electrician didn't have to open the control head to make his connections.

I wish that would happen. :)

One system I needed three contacts for some reason and just placed 3 - 4" sq boxes jammed together on the side of the ansul cab with chase nipples in the back of each for the switch leads.

Ugly looking PITA to work on.

More of what we are doing now are engineered hood control systems integral with the hood itself with a nicely labeled control cab to make all the field connections in.

Status
Not open for further replies.