Fire Alarm NPLFA and PLFA wiring/cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMPE

In reviewing shop drawings from a contractor it was not apparent if the submitted low voltage cabling was NPLFA or PLFA. When I go to section IV of Article 760 three different conductor/cable voltage rating are thrown around: namely 600V for NPLFA Insulated Conductors, 150V for NPLFA cables and 300V for PLFA cables.
The question is: should we ask the contractor to specifically supply fire alarm cable in lieu of simply a low voltage cable?

bphgravity

If it can't be determined based on other information provided by the plans or specifications, I would request the type to be identified.

It is most likely a PLFA system.

There is really only 2 voltage ratings for fire alarm cables. Type FPL cable is rated at 300 volts and Type NPLF is rated at 600 volts but marked with a maximum usage voltage of 150.

As for which cables to ask for, I would ask the manufacture of the fire alarm system if they have an preference as to which type of cable.

jim

JMPE

Jmpe

Jmpe

I have been looking in the code for the "official" voltage designations (ie: markings) for equipment. Does any one know where this is located( ie: 208/120V vs. 120/208V...etc.)
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.