Fire Alarm Panel Power Connection to Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

Hello Everyone,

I have a general question that I'm a little not sure about the code interpretation. NEC section 700 requires us to provide a dedicated ATS for emergency loads such as emergency lighting and fire protection equipment, however, the confusing part for me, if the fire alarm control panel (FACP) is provided with battery back up power (I believe normally for 24hrs run time), do we still need to provide a separate ATS for that panel or it can be connected to standby loads? My take on it, no selective coordination is required because if we lose power (120VAC) to the FACP then it will draws power from the batteries. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hello Everyone,

I have a general question that I'm a little not sure about the code interpretation. NEC section 700 requires us to provide a dedicated ATS for emergency loads such as emergency lighting and fire protection equipment, however, the confusing part for me, if the fire alarm control panel (FACP) is provided with battery back up power (I believe normally for 24hrs run time), do we still need to provide a separate ATS for that panel or it can be connected to standby loads? My take on it, no selective coordination is required because if we lose power (120VAC) to the FACP then it will draws power from the batteries. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Whether or not the FACP has to be on the generator is a matter for the customer (specs/drawings) and the AHJ. IF it has to be on a panel, I think it will need to be a section 700 ATS. This is what was done at LaGuardia for terminal B, but your local jurisdiction may have other rules. If the FACP does go on the generator, then the battery backup time is reduced to 4 hours.

faresos

The customer requested to put the fie protection devices on generator when the facility provided with one (DoD project). This is not a high rise building where it's a must we have to have life safety equipment on generator. Example, our project has a lighting inverter that is connected to a standby power but since it's a stand alone system it' doesn't require to be on 700 ATS.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The customer requested to put the fie protection devices on generator when the facility provided with one (DoD project). This is not a high rise building where it's a must we have to have life safety equipment on generator. Example, our project has a lighting inverter that is connected to a standby power but since it's a stand alone system it' doesn't require to be on 700 ATS.
It sounds like you should seek guidance from the customer (DoD) on this. IIRC, they have a whole facilities document dealing with this and many other topics.

Engser18

Occupation
Engineering
Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
IMO, it is depend on the classification of generator and sizing your batteries:
1. if the generator is emergency generator, you can downsize/minimum your batteries to 4 hrs IAW NFPA 72 chpt 10. Separate ATS is not required.
2. if the generator is backup/standby generator, the batteries is required to be fully sized. and it is still not required separate ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.