Fire Alarm psych ward

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
So is a strobe required in a psych ward patient room of a hospital. The room has two beds.

I cant seem to find the exception for a psych ward area.
thanks for any help

Health care facilities frequently use Private Mode Signaling. Look it up in NFPA 72 (2013) 18.4.4 for audible requirements and 18.6 for visible. There is a small comment in Appendix A on visible appliances.

Alternatively, see the IBC (2015) if your jurisdiction uses it. Per 907.5.2.3 Exception 4 an I-2 occupancy (includes psychiatric care facilities) can skip visual devices throughout if they meet the requirements of 907.2.6.

LIM

Health care facilities frequently use Private Mode Signaling. Look it up in NFPA 72 (2013) 18.4.4 for audible requirements and 18.6 for visible. There is a small comment in Appendix A on visible appliances.

Alternatively, see the IBC (2015) if your jurisdiction uses it. Per 907.5.2.3 Exception 4 an I-2 occupancy (includes psychiatric care facilities) can skip visual devices throughout if they meet the requirements of 907.2.6.

Looks like that would only be critical care areas, which the basic psych ward would not be part of.

4. Visual alarm notification appliances are not
required in critical care areas of Group I-2
Condition 2 occupancies that are in compliance
with Section 907.2.6, Exception 2.

NAC Notification Appliance Circuits

Basically NAC are required to meet UL 1971, UL 1638,UL 464 performance standards installed per NFPA 72 and ANSI 117.1 certainly the American Disabilities Act protects the civil rights as legislated make certain you check with your AHJ

So this brings code to facilitation equviliance to the AHJ to grant a variance for American Disability Act Accessibility Guidelines Chapter 1 Section 103.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Looks like that would only be critical care areas, which the basic psych ward would not be part of.

4. Visual alarm notification appliances are not
required in critical care areas of Group I-2
Condition 2 occupancies that are in compliance
with Section 907.2.6, Exception 2.

Yes, the second item I referenced is not for the general facility, but Exception 2 under 907.2.6 should be good enough, if the other items in the exception are satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.